Swim coach needed

Burnie

Looking for a freelance swim coach to help me and three mates improve our messy freestyle open-water / triathlon swim techniques.

We normally train at the quiet Midstream indoor heated pool on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 18h00 to 19h00.

Not all of us are VA or PF gym members.

We are at similar skill level: About 2 km in 45 mins non-stop.

Idea is to have 4 to 8 one hour sessions and maybe a followup a month later.

Total Immersion training camps can work, but we would prefer something more flexible with personal attention.

Centurion area. Need not be a professional coach, just someone in the know that can give us good advice and value for money.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Total Immersion! no need for a swim coach once you have the TI technique sorted!

I found my technique is awesome and may save millions of lives - i go buy "don't drown" and so far it works....i am living proof

I found my technique is awesome and may save millions of lives - i go buy "don't drown" and so far it works....i am living proof

What is a thread without a troll?

What is a thread without a troll?

hehe fun over...i have to vouch for the total immersion as well...

I went from no swim exp to doing a 1km in 45min thanks to the right technique.

hehe fun over...i have to vouch for the total immersion as well...

I went from no swim exp to doing a 1km in 45min thanks to the right technique.

45 min?

Put on troll coat

You should ask for a refund

Take off coat

Sorry no offense meant but 45 mins for 1 k seems very long

For the peps who have done the total immersion courses and those of us who still have to one day....

If you could summerize the Total Immersion philosophy / technique into one short paragraph, what would you say?

JA I’m looking for some free technique tips

Come to CT and I'll show you how to swim... :lol:

The cold water and the beeg fishes you have there is enough to motivate anyone to swim faster

Here is Mike Moriarty number AKA coach. He trains a number of SA triathletes. He will be able to assist you. Tell him Terry from Xterra sent you :)

Take off coat

Sorry, forgot to mention I've been swimming for one week only.

Sorry, forgot to mention I've been swimming for one week only.

Well in that case keep at it, you could halve that time as your fitness / technique improves.

45 min?

Put on troll coat

Take off coat

For the peps who have done the total immersion courses and those of us who still have to one day....

If you could summerize the Total Immersion philosophy / technique into one short paragraph, what would you say?

45 min?

Put on troll coat

Take off coat

Firstly 45mins is very slow thats more than a minute for one length of a 25m pool? Surely that cant be right.

Some basic tips imho would be concentrate of form, keep your hips high, strech out every stroke as if it were the last stroke of the length (the one you reach out to the wall for), keep your head down, practice breathing, use your entire wrist, lower arms area to 'pull' water while rotating (TI uses the example of 'grabbing' the water and pulling yourself while driving from the hips) glide in the water, learn how this feels and try and replicate it in every stroke, get your elbows high out the water, keep your fingers together, do drills, get a friend to watch or film yourself so you can see hat your stroke looks like and then compare it to someone with a good stroke - the differences will be obvious.

Firstly 45mins is very slow thats more than a minute for one length of a 25m pool? Surely that cant be right.

Some basic tips imho would be concentrate of form, keep your hips high, strech out every stroke as if it were the last stroke of the length (the one you reach out to the wall for), keep your head down, practice breathing, use your entire wrist, lower arms area to 'pull' water while rotating (TI uses the example of 'grabbing' the water and pulling yourself while driving from the hips) glide in the water, learn how this feels and try and replicate it in every stroke, get your elbows high out the water, keep your fingers together, do drills, get a friend to watch or film yourself so you can see hat your stroke looks like and then compare it to someone with a good stroke - the differences will be obvious.

Good tips there :clap:

Can you expand a bit on this one "while driving from the hips" i.e. what it means and how to get it right, is there a drill for learning how it feels?

Exactly as JGR said it, but the little "rhym" I was taught goes as follows: And do this infront of the mirror...

FYI, your head is 12o'clock on a watch

Arms above at 12, cup your hand slightly and pull it down infront of you, reaching down to your knee. Then bring your hand along your side, tickling, tickling, tickling up to your arm pit, bring your hand past your ear and reach as far out as what you can, entering the water with your thumb first.

And a drill to practice the pulling with yout forearm through the water is swim with your hands closed, ie fists.