Conti Race King Tyre trouble..

Gliders

Hello All,

I have got a Conti race king on the back wheel of my bike which has developed a bubble... I sent the bike in for a service and to renew the tyre sealant. When I got the bike home I noticed that there was a bubble about the size of half and egg on the rear wheel along the centre line of the tread..

My question is would it be silly to ride the bike in this condition, considering I am doing the Kalahari Challenge this weekend? I don't think it was any fault of the LBS the tyre is nearly a year old and seen some good use.

But the tread was still in good condition so I had not considered changing it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Sounds like delamination, pic would help. Its defnitely not the LBS but rather the sealant that is responsible, it happens from time to time on some tyres.

Change it asap defnitely before your race, it could drop you at any point. What sealant did you use btw?

Delamitaion of the tyre tread from the carcass.

Change it ASAP, it will go.

"SOME" tyre suppliers could exchange the tyre, bot most will void the warranty due to use of sealant.

But try anyway, if the tyre is as new as I understand.

Good luck

Hello All,

I have got a Conti race king on the back wheel of my bike which has developed a bubble... I sent the bike in for a service and to renew the tyre sealant. When I got the bike home I noticed that there was a bubble about the size of half and egg on the rear wheel along the centre line of the tread..

My question is would it be silly to ride the bike in this condition, considering I am doing the Kalahari Challenge this weekend? I don't think it was any fault of the LBS the tyre is nearly a year old and seen some good use.

But the tread was still in good condition so I had not considered changing it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

I've heard that Stan's sometimes causes that. Try using Joe's.

Sounds like delamination, pic would help. Its defnitely not the LBS but rather the sealant that is responsible, it happens from time to time on some tyres.

Change it asap defnitely before your race, it could drop you at any point. What sealant did you use btw?

Thanks guys you have confirmed what I was thinking.. I have been using Stan's sealant so I guess that's the error in my ways. Although I have been very happy with the sealant, its given me a year of puncture free riding so I guess you got to take the good with the bad..

Off to the LBS I go, here's hoping they are running a tyre special.. :w00t:

Thanks guys you have confirmed what I was thinking.. I have been using Stan's sealant so I guess that's the error in my ways. Although I have been very happy with the sealant, its given me a year of puncture free riding so I guess you got to take the good with the bad..

Just ordered a race king and mountain king from chain reaction, R387.00 a piece. Makes the local price look steep. Need to add VAT to the imported price, lucky I needed a new crankset so postage is free. Huge saving on the crankset btw.

Just ordered a race king and mountain king from chain reaction, R387.00 a piece. Makes the local price look steep. Need to add VAT to the imported price, lucky I needed a new crankset so postage is free. Huge saving on the crankset btw.

Thanks, yea Chainreaction is the best option unfortunately I depart for Botswana tomorrow.. I am just going to need to cough up! :eek:

Thanks, yea Chainreaction is the best option unfortunately I depart for Botswana tomorrow.. I am just going to need to cough up! :eek:

Been awhile since I've been in a bike shop in SA.....how much are race king and mountain king going for now? (roughly)

Been awhile since I've been in a bike shop in SA.....how much are race king and mountain king going for now? (roughly)

Last I saw between R500-R700 depending on the fine print... UST/Protection.

wow....I'm buying some stuff from chainreaction in the near future (brakes)......now thinking I should add some tyres to the order just for future use. With VAT they'll be about R450...thats quite a big difference

Ok time for some noob questions on the continental tyres.....

1. I converted the original tyres that came with my bike to tubeless. Will UST tyres work with my rims or are there other adjustments I have to make?

2. What is the difference between the Race King and Mountain King? Looks like tread pattern to me?

3. Am I correct in saying that its standard to run 2.4 in the front and 2.2 in the rear (tyre size)?

Thanks

Just bad luck...I guess.

I've been running that same tyre with Stans for over a year as well and no problems thus far!

Perhaps just a/the dud tyre out of the batch?

Ok time for some noob questions on the continental tyres..... 1. I converted the original tyres that came with my bike to tubeless. Will UST tyres work with my rims or are there other adjustments I have to make? 2. What is the difference between the Race King and Mountain King? Looks like tread pattern to me? 3. Am I correct in saying that its standard to run 2.4 in the front and 2.2 in the rear (tyre size)? Thanks

I've got exactly thsi set up you are describing...

on Mavic 617 rims....(I think...got a mind blank on tha one now...)

Also via CRC ~18 months ago....

The Mountain Kings have a bit more agressive tread...nice & grippy for front wheel (+ size 2.4 for that extra little bit of fatness = total peace of mind for any corner that the trail might serve up!!)

The 2.2 rear race king is ideal with a bit leass treat protruding and nice easy rollability.

you cannot go wrong with that combo!

Its not the sealant but related to the specific tyre, think about it logically, all tyres that come out of the conti factory uses the same rubber recipe, all sealant that comes out of the stans factory uses the same recipe, taking these two factors into account, if the sealant was responsible every single conti raceking would delaminate and bubble. This is not the case in fact for every 100000 tyres you might find one that will delaminate. Same can happen with Joe's or any other sealant. Its just bad luck.

I've got exactly thsi set up you are describing...

on Mavic 617 rims....(I think...got a mind blank on tha one now...)

Also via CRC ~18 months ago....

The Mountain Kings have a bit more agressive tread...nice & grippy for front wheel (+ size 2.4 for that extra little bit of fatness = total peace of mind for any corner that the trail might serve up!!)

The 2.2 rear race king is ideal with a bit leass treat protruding and nice easy rollability.

you cannot go wrong with that combo!

+1. Got the x-king Race-king combo