Isuzu 3 Towers stage race - Advice needed

Mr SingleTrack

They were no where close to that. For the challenge your looking at 1100 to 1300 per day and Day 3 we all do the same which was about 55km (1300m odd) The Race I think you were looking at about 1700 per day and 70km except day 3. I doubt they changed the format that much. Lots of challenge guys will never finish day 3.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any of you guys who did this race last year agree with these stats? I know the route has changed but what has been shown on the website seems to be wrong. For instance the very first climb on day one is common with the first climb of the Mankele race held earlier this year the profile on the website is 375m for that climb whereas my garmin shows 300m for the same climb.

My expectations when entering this race was for total climbs to be between 1500 - 2000m climbing per day if the website profiles are correct I'm seriously underprepared for this race.

From my old garmin files of the towers last year

Day1 - 45.70km, 901m of climbing...that first climb when you hook off the tar is about 240m worth....it's just the sting at the end that is tough

Day2 - 52.17km, 1152m of climbing...the climb up the tower is the bastard not that steep but its hot, no cover and its long...14km to be precise

Day3 - lost the file...

PS I got a late entry this year...wasn't planning it but hey...I am in. See you guys there!

I just checked and the profiles on the website are the same ones they had on last year which were way out. rouxjie is correct with his distances with Day 3 like I said being about 55km and 1350m climbing. Shortest day for the Race guys largest day for the challenge guys.

Rouujie said he is doing it on his new niner SS bike :clap:

I just checked and the profiles on the website are the same ones they had on last year which were way out. rouxjie is correct with his distances with Day 3 like I said being about 55km and 1350m climbing. Shortest day for the Race guys largest day for the challenge guys. Rouujie said he is doing it on his new niner SS bike :clap:

who dat? thanks goodness you are not talking about me...I will die.

I hope chicken knows we are going for the vibe and jol, cause racing it, aint gonna happen...not with me anyway

oh and @riverrat...expect to be blown away by the best singletrack in SA...but I am sure you know this

...end of day1...flippen awesome

...end of day2...insane

...middle of day 3 and end(sudwala switchbacks)...crazy

Edited by rouxtjie

We're in for the race and your comments are settling some of the nerves here :thumbup:. My next task to stop my partner from downgrading us to the challenge! Just to help me with this how would this race compare to Sani2c in terms of climbing we don't mind the technical stuff but our climbing is our weak point. I guess that is the consequence of weighing more than 95kg per man.

Look forward to seeing you guys there!

oh and @riverrat...expect to be blown away by the best singletrack in SA...but I am sure you know this

...end of day1...flippen awesome

...end of day2...insane

...middle of day 3 and end(sudwala switchbacks)...crazy

If it's anything like what we had on the Sappi Mankele Challenge earlier this year it will make all the climbing worthwhile :clap:

We're in for the race and your comments are settling some of the nerves here :thumbup:. My next task to stop my partner from downgrading us to the challenge! Just to help me with this how would this race compare to Sani2c in terms of climbing we don't mind the technical stuff but our climbing is our weak point. I guess that is the consequence of weighing more than 95kg per man. Look forward to seeing you guys there!
Its really a great event and to be honest..bang for buck the best. Its much smaller than sani so no queus...yay and you feel more part of it. the food also doesn't feel like it was done on a budget(chicken braai last year were awesome). Also race briefing is much more relaxed and moer funny(aka the mark and geoff show). The trails aren't as manicured as sani, but I like it that way...its a mtb race afterall, but you never feel like it wants to break you and your bike like the magalies monster, so in my opinion the perfect balance. They have dual singletrack with northshore style bruggies and ramps everywhere which makes for super fun. The best part are the bushtunnels...they are absolutely mind blowing. The climbs are not bad, but its the heat that gets you...well for me anyway, so drink lots and lots and take crampblockers. See you there Edited by rouxtjie

Still hoping to 'help' someone out when their partner pulls out due to unforeseen circumstances.......

Still hoping to 'help' someone out when their partner pulls out due to unforeseen circumstances.......

Bringing your bottle of jaeger? I will take a dnf on day 1,2 and 3 thanks so much

Bringing your bottle of jaeger? I will take a dnf on day 1,2 and 3 thanks so much

We'll use Spike to revive you!

I go into a slight panic when I think of some of these climbs but cannot wait for the downhills and bush tunnels

We're in for the race and your comments are settling some of the nerves here :thumbup:. My next task to stop my partner from downgrading us to the challenge! Just to help me with this how would this race compare to Sani2c in terms of climbing we don't mind the technical stuff but our climbing is our weak point. I guess that is the consequence of weighing more than 95kg per man.

Look forward to seeing you guys there!

Ja the climbs hurt when you weigh around 100kg. For me the only way to get used to the effort is to ride Breedts nek a few times before then (during the hottest part of the day). Very similar terrain and gradients. Just to get used to the constant steep climbing. I did this prep 2 years ago and it worked quite well. Last year I gave it a skip and did some lesser hills closer to home and had a horrible time.

Any idea yet if the profile information is correct,surely it cant be.

It wasn't right last year...but there are some nasty "little" climbs there.