Chain Reaction Cycles.com

TREK@13

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CRC is really secure and reliable, and they are notably cheaper than e.g. buycycle (and their product ranges are endless :thumbup: )

TIP: try to get a few buddies together who also need gear and place a large order. This way you will not be billed for shipping and the import and handling fees decrease exponentially (we are 5 guys who usually run a CRC order every 2 months or so…it works great!)

Damn…now I also want to buy something! Again…

CRC is alll good. Do your homework though. Consider import duties and what you are buying then weigh against the security of having an easier time returning it to local online retailer and LBS for a small fraction more cost. Sometimes CWC and Buycycle are cheaper and more convenient. I'm all for supporting locals.

And it's 30% duty on full bikes, not 15%! :-)

not correct, unless something has changed:

cycling shorts (classified as clothing): 45%

shoes, socks, bags: 40%

Gloves: 30%

Helmets (fullface or other): 25%

Knee pads and other protective equipment: 20%

plastic bottles: 15%

whole bicycles: 15%

Goggles: 0%

bike components: 0%

cycling electronics: 0%

see: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/75887-import-duties-on-cycling-goods/

Has anyone ordered a complete bike and asked CRC to ship it as seperate parts to avoid the complete bike duty :whistling:

Welcome to thehub treak@13. Do a search on the hub for "crc" or "chain reaction cycles". You are not the first to ask those questions. Try to get an order for over R3k and shipping will be free. If it is a bit steep, club in with some mates or fellow hubbers. The more you shop, the more you save!

The "free shipping" amount has been reduced. My last order was for R 2400 and was free.

The "free shipping" amount has been reduced. My last order was for R 2400 and was free.

I must add, if at all possible go the DHL route and split the shipping costs (again - if you are ordering with a few mates). I waited 16 days for the delivery of my first ever CRC order and after that, happly paid my share of having the goods in my hands 3 days max after ordering...and the luxury of tracking every single move of the parcel.

Has anyone ordered a complete bike and asked CRC to ship it as seperate parts to avoid the complete bike duty :whistling:

Dont think they in for that,illegal, but i have sent a complete bike to my cousin in UK,who then stripped it down & sent as present for my aunt.He made it look second hand with muddy rag +14% :ph34r: :whistling:

yeah they missed 2 helmets when a mate an i did an order....but i guess its swings and roundabouts in cases like that

Ye nice 1 when they miss the goods.We shud maybe club together & send mass pap/wors to their dep when we order,they prob miss alot then. :w00t:

not correct, unless something has changed:

cycling shorts (classified as clothing): 45%

shoes, socks, bags: 40%

Gloves: 30%

Helmets (fullface or other): 25%

Knee pads and other protective equipment: 20%

plastic bottles: 15%

whole bicycles: 15%

Goggles: 0%

bike components: 0%

cycling electronics: 0%

see: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/75887-import-duties-on-cycling-goods/

My bad...

Will tyres fall under components?

yes, I've bought tyres and only paid VAT on this side....

It helps if they are folded ones ...nice and small parcel - not the huge round parcel that says tyres all over it...