Selecting the right "tools for the job" - what type of bike should I buy?

@ the OP please explain wtf is going on.

You offer a service to choose the right bike for R395 and then you ask the hub which bike you should choose.

Or am i missing something?

Fking spam if you ask me, your butting in to threads offering your "not" free services is getting a bit tiresome. If you want to advertise, take out a paid advertisement with the hub, FFS

Edit, sorry Cav, this isn't aimed at you but at the OP.

Edited by deanbean

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fking spam if you ask me, your butting in to threads offering your "not" free services is getting a bit tiresome. If you want to advertise, take out a paid advertisement with the hub, FFS

Exactly right, Dean.

I suspect business is slow for the OP...

"Our sport is a simple one": That is what makes mountain biking such an enjoyable sport - it requires the skillful use of technology that many participants are not even thinking about. Like, apart from the difference in price, what makes a carbon fiber bike different from an aluminium composite one, or is their a reason why one should rather consider a dual suspension than a hard tail? Talking about dual suspension, what differentiate single pivot from 4-bar linkage and when does which one work better? Talking carbon, is it important to understand the difference in the quality of carbon used by manufacturers - why is one frame more expensive than another, and what makes one type better than another. Or do I just trust the sales person and be guided by the price. O ja, then there is 3x9, 3x10, 2x10 and each with different gear ratios, or is internal gearing not better? These are just a few pointers emphasizing that our sport is a simple one ...

That will teach me to give you free advice.

or is internal gearing not better?

Say what!

If someone is at the level where they are considering internal gearing they really not going to need your R395 software consultation to help them decide. And what sane human would recommend internal gearing to a n00b . Something fishy going on here.....

"Our sport is a simple one": That is what makes mountain biking such an enjoyable sport - it requires the skillful use of technology that many participants are not even thinking about. Like, apart from the difference in price, what makes a carbon fiber bike different from an aluminium composite one, or is their a reason why one should rather consider a dual suspension than a hard tail? Talking about dual suspension, what differentiate single pivot from 4-bar linkage and when does which one work better? Talking carbon, is it important to understand the difference in the quality of carbon used by manufacturers - why is one frame more expensive than another, and what makes one type better than another. Or do I just trust the sales person and be guided by the price. O ja, then there is 3x9, 3x10, 2x10 and each with different gear ratios, or is internal gearing not better? These are just a few pointers emphasizing that our sport is a simple one ...

Are you into marketing or something? All those siency sounding b/s words: "skillful use of tecnology", "understanding the diff's in quality of carbon". And then the personalisation:"...that OUR sport is a simple one."

Use the "search" function. This is the Training and nutrition forum. Go to the Tech Q&A, or Buyers guide. Come to think of it. Some guys called this SPAM. Maybe that is why this topic ended up in the wrong forum.

This is a load of bollocks!

Hahaha

You don't need software or a degree to know what good quality is and thats all that matters in a bike . The only advice people should pay for is a professional bike fitting/setup because even an entry level bike feels awesome if its correctly setup for your body/riding style

Common sense and the great people of thehub will be more helpful than your software.

Ask any one!!!! :P

Which is better, 26er long travel or 29er 4" travel if I'm a weekend warrior and spend most of my riding time at Groenkloof - and why do you say that? Now, does that only pertain to you is will it be a general recommendation for anyone?

This is a load of bollocks!

Hahaha

You don't need software or a degree to know what good quality is and thats all that matters in a bike . The only advice people should pay for is a professional bike fitting/setup because even an entry level bike feels awesome if its correctly setup for your body/riding style

Common sense and the great people of thehub will be more helpful than your software.

Ask any one!!!! :P

You're right - the only advice people should pay for is the set-up! BUT that is when you start from the premises that the person has the right bike! I have seen a sales person selling a hard core racing mountain bike HT with a flipped stem the tootie to a 65 year old lady that rides once every fortnight! And that exercise was about R60grand.

Reading and responding is optional

Are you into marketing or something? All those siency sounding b/s words: "skillful use of tecnology", "understanding the diff's in quality of carbon". And then the personalisation:"...that OUR sport is a simple one."

Use the "search" function. This is the Training and nutrition forum. Go to the Tech Q&A, or Buyers guide. Come to think of it. Some guys called this SPAM. Maybe that is why this topic ended up in the wrong forum.

By the way, as a matter of interest, what criteria do YOU use when buying a new mountain bike or upgrading your current one? On what do you base your selection?

By the way, as a matter of interest, what criteria do YOU use when buying a new mountain bike or upgrading your current one? On what do you base your selection?

I buy the one I like. The latest was black, the previous was green. A better answer may be had in the "Buyers guide" section.

How did this end up in "Training and Nutrition"?

Edited by Goodbadugly

Say what!

If someone is at the level where they are considering internal gearing they really not going to need your R395 software consultation to help them decide. And what sane human would recommend internal gearing to a n00b . Something fishy going on here.....

Hay Skylark, are you implying that someone should be at a certain "level" before going for internal gearing? Then perhaps Burry would have done better if he was on that level? Or is it about your preferences and type of riding? We all know what our "wants" are, but only a few can differentiate between that and their "needs". That is what we do, help you define your needs ... nothing fishy, only getting science to help you make the right decision and saving you money!

That will teach me to give you free advice.

Hay Showtime, please do not misinterpret my response as sarcastic - merely trying to point out that our sport is a highly technical one, which makes it extremely complicated to select the right tools. Like ROTOR cranks, do they actually work, what does the validated research indicate? Are we not being handed over to the mercy of manufacturers that have marketing budgets to lure us into buying stuff we don't actually need?!