Selecting the right "tools for the job" - what type of bike should I buy?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Enticement please help me out.

I am 172cm and looking for a 29er dual. I think the Anthem seatstays are too long so I won't be able to manual the thing. I don't like the fact that the Spark has no real platform damping as I don't want to fiddle with my suspension all the time to get the most out of the bike. The Tallboy is a bit out of my price range.

I don't need a 140mm bike as I'm too bang gat for the big stuff.

What do you suggest?

If that is so, why are there no 29er downhill bikes commercially available? Your comment is valid from a certain perspective, but is it not application dependable?

Actually there are 29'er DH production bikes. Do a search on this site and you will find it.

If I had to get the link for you I would have to charge you unfortunately.

Do you go for color - the red one, or the blue? Why do you like that one?

Please dude .... everyone knows a red bike is faster and a green bike is more environmentally friendly!

How many different bikes have you used (not merely tested) over the past 3 years - remember mountain biking is an experiment and if you cannot talk from experience you also practice "true crap you find on Google".

But you are trying to sell this?.

Actually there are 29'er DH production bikes. Do a search on this site and you will find it. If I had to get the link for you I would have to charge you unfortunately.

hahahhaha

Perhaps you could add to your services. People in general need to feel that they are getting value for money. After the right tool for the job has been selected, what about accessories? Helmets for example. Bell vs Giro? Saddle Bag vs Camelbak for carrying tools? What hydration pack? Should I ride flats or clips? Flat bar vs riser bar? Bar ends on a riser bar or not? What are the best socks for MTB? Why limit yourself to MTB? Expand your field of expertise to road as well! Should I shave my legs or not? Tools in a saddle bag or in a bottle (Maybe even carry them in my jersey pockets)? Can I wear my Camelbak on my road bike?

The opportunities are endless! There must be countless unmade decisions out there balancing on a knife edge just waiting to be made that need your help. I just wish you were around 7 years ago when I bought my bike. I had a choice between a BMX, a hybrid and a HT 26" MTB. I sometime lie in bed wondering if I had made the right decision and whether I shouldn't have taken that hybrid......

All that sounds like the typical "must know advice" found in the Bicycling SA mag every month ......

I am 172cm and looking for a 29er dual. I think the Anthem seatstays are too long so I won't be able to manual the thing. I don't like the fact that the Spark has no real platform damping as I don't want to fiddle with my suspension all the time to get the most out of the bike. The Tallboy is a bit out of my price range.

What do you suggest?

There are 3 categories of elements that constitute an ideal bike choice

1. What do you enjoy most when riding - breaking sweat, burning lungs, adrenaline rush, etc
  2. What type of riding activity do you enjoy most - technical, short with high intensity, long with low intensity, gravel roads, single track, etc
  3. What do you expect from your bike - should it be light, durable, low maintenance, reliable, etc

Only if I have an empirical and verified indication can I suggest what type of bike (not brand).

What do you suggest?

Short and simple answer.

A very affordable Epic Comp 29'er.

Actually there are 29'er DH production bikes. Do a search on this site and you will find it.

If I had to get the link for you I would have to charge you unfortunately.

Who cares about DH 29ers its like a poo flavoured ice cream it might be real but nobody really wants one. The south african market are the only idiots buying 29ers at the moment, and there is no actual proof that they are better. But obviously every brand will produce them because its another way to generate income while one wheel size is in "fashion"

Short and simple answer.

A very affordable Epic Comp 29'er.

Thanks, that was my decision as well, was just seeing if I could somehow entice a straight answer seeing as I gave enough info.

Thanks, that was my decision as well, was just seeing if I could somehow entice a straight answer seeing as I gave enough info.

He can't give straight answers as he tries too hard to impress with ramble.

There are 3 categories of elements that constitute an ideal bike choice

1. What do you enjoy most when riding - breaking sweat, burning lungs, adrenaline rush, etc
  2. What type of riding activity do you enjoy most - technical, short with high intensity, long with low intensity, gravel roads, single track, etc
  3. What do you expect from your bike - should it be light, durable, low maintenance, reliable, etc

Only if I have an empirical and verified indication can I suggest what type of bike (not brand).

I would like an . Adrenaline rush,gravel roads,should it be light bike please. What can you recommend ?

Who cares about DH 29ers its like a poo flavoured ice cream it might be real but nobody really wants one. The south african market are the only idiots buying 29ers at the moment, and there is no actual proof that they are better. But obviously every brand will produce them because its another way to generate income while one wheel size is in "fashion"

That is besides the point .... the OP was saying it did not exist and said it did, because it does. Would I want one ... don't think I would.

That is besides the point .... the OP was saying it did not exist and said it did, because it does. Would I want one ... don't think I would.

Sorry I misread your comment, Im so tired of hearing about 29ers. haha The OP is a complete puzzler

How many different bikes have you used (not merely tested) over the past 3 years - remember mountain biking is an experiment and if you cannot talk from experience you also practice "true crap you find on Google".

How many differant bikes have you used/tested over the last 3 years?