Shoes: Sidi vs. Shimano vs. other

PokerFace

Sidi is beautiful, but more expensive than Shimano. Specialized seems (generally speaking) to have heavier shoes than Sidi.  What do you recommend?

Have used Time, Sidi (both top of range) and now Specialized Carbon.

For me the Specialized is the first shoe that I never got "Hot Feet" with!!

Brilliant shoes !!!!!! 

Have used Time' date=' Sidi (both top of range) and now Specialized Carbon.

Brilliant shoes !!!!!! 
[/quote']

I agree, Specialized fit me like a glove (a body glove actuallyLOL) after I could not find Sidi shoes that would.  In the end the shoes have to fit YOUR FEET.  Shoes are very important and they might be bling, but if they hurt you feet you are going to go slower.  You have been warned.

Is R1500 enough to buy good shoes?

With 'good enough' what do you mean?  Light/stiff/bling/good value?  What is your criteria?

R600 Olympics are good enough (stiff, solid and cheap), but I think that is not what you want to hear...
Willehond2008-01-15 23:33:37

Is R1500 enough to buy good shoes?

Spend as much as you can afford.

Carbon / Carbon re-inorced sole is a must - @R1500 you can certainly expect this.

Have used Time' date=' Sidi (both top of range) and now Specialized Carbon.

Brilliant shoes !!!!!! 
[/quote']

AG no Racman, i'm disgusted!! Specialized shoes with a BMCWink

Pokes, i'm using the Shimano SH-R215B, the one with the Carbon Graphite Sole.

What a nice and stiff shoe!

Eendag wat ek groot is en my groupset upgrade na Campag sal ek iets anders probeer.

At the moment -the Shimano is working good enough! I'm sure R1500 will be enough to buy a decent pair of shoes
BMC Fan2008-01-15 23:36:42

I have DMT's and just got the Specialized Road Pro.....AWESOME, the Specialized fits a lot better than the DMT's.

You can try North Stars if they still make it.....LOL

Poker, is that really you upper limit or are you bluffing? [EB leaves]

I'm of the opinion that an uncomfortable shoe that fits in your budget causes more pain than explaining a "budgetary indiscretion" to the missus.

Unfortunately, what works for one guy's feet might not for another, but as a general guideline Sidi's are deemed particularly prone to causing hot feet due to a narrower design. I've settled on Specialized carbons and find them ultra-comfortable.  They're also relatively light, not too expensive (approx. R2k) and score about 8/10 in the style dept. 
EdoardoBianchi2008-01-15 23:44:03

I'm also going to be in the market for a pair of road shoes in the near future and am leaning more towards the Sidi range.

Specialized are streets ahead of Shimano which up until I got the Specialized's were the most comfy ever (over Sidi's).

I have very broad feet and while the Shimano's are perfect in that regard, the Specialized just feel like I'm wearing socks. I find that the point at which the Shimano's go from snug to over tight is very quick however the Specialized always feel snug and never too tight.

The insoles of the Specialized can be further customised for an even better fit.
ShortLegs2008-01-16 01:01:56