First Bike - MTB vs Road

Escapee..

hi Guys

SARS finally came good so I am looking at buying my first bike..

Don`t know if I should go for a MTB or Road bike first but I am planning to buy another one in the next 6 months or so.

So please help me here!

I am starting to lean towards MTB though

Budget is R12k but I still need to buy kit etc..

I was close to Eastgate now and popped in at Cajees (just to see what they have)

Not a lot of options but they had these two

Ghost ASX 4900 Dual Suspension R9500

Scott Spark 60 Dual Suspension R11500

what do you guys think?

Want to get a bike this weekend!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi Guys

SARS finally came good so I am looking at buying my first bike..

Don`t know if I should go for a MTB or Road bike first but I am planning to buy another one in the next 6 months or so.

So please help me here!

I am starting to lean towards MTB though

Budget is R12k but I still need to buy kit etc..

I was close to Eastgate now and popped in at Cajees (just to see what they have)

Not a lot of options but they had these two

Ghost ASX 4900 Dual Suspension R9500

Scott Spark 60 Dual Suspension R11500

what do you guys think?

Want to get a bike this weekend!

Shop around as much as possible and dont just rush into it! Spend the whole weekend visiting as many shops as you can and take a mate with if you can who knows bikes, save yourself some pain!

Just remember with a MTB you can ride on the road as well...I've only had a MTB from April 2011 till last weekend when I invested in a road bike as well - I did Argus and all on the MTB (26+km/h).

I have the Scott Spark 60 - haven’t had any problems yet and I like to complete ride (set-up wise) of the bike and one can still be quite competitive even if it isn't a 'pro' bike (by that I mean I would have liked a better front shock - but if you are starting out I don't even think you will notice the difference much).

BIG TIP - immediately put on tubeless (Maxxis tires preferred) - I have not had one puncture since my 1st ride!

Good luck and enjoy!

Would also go MTB as there are more places to ride, fairly safely. Try to stretch your budget a bit and get a Scott 29 Team

+1

Wait a bit for the 2013 bikes to arrive, a lot of the 2012 bikes are really cheap now. Like the Scott 29 Team went for 18k now going for 12k

I would def also go for MTB (although i have both)

If you buy a road bike, you will have to make sure you are always in a group with a safety vehicle and usually super early in the mornings before traffic.

If you have a MTB, you can go to nature reserves any time you like, ride on the sidewalk (where you cant go with your Road bike)etc.

When I started I had R10k for bike and kit. I ended up buiyng a 7k bike(hard tail) (with Maxxi tubeless) and spent the rest on kit :-)

For me, that was perfect to start with. Now, almost 2 years later, I am upgrading my bike to a soft tail - and I appreciate the difference :-)

Happy hunting!

Shop around as much as possible and dont just rush into it! Spend the whole weekend visiting as many shops as you can and take a mate with if you can who knows bikes, save yourself some pain!

Thats the plan for this weekend, thanks mojoman

Just remember with a MTB you can ride on the road as well...I've only had a MTB from April 2011 till last weekend when I invested in a road bike as well - I did Argus and all on the MTB (26+km/h).

I have the Scott Spark 60 - haven’t had any problems yet and I like to complete ride (set-up wise) of the bike and one can still be quite competitive even if it isn't a 'pro' bike (by that I mean I would have liked a better front shock - but if you are starting out I don't even think you will notice the difference much).

BIG TIP - immediately put on tubeless (Maxxis tires preferred) - I have not had one puncture since my 1st ride!

Good luck and enjoy!

Thank you!

Yip will definitely invest in tubeless ASAP

MTB, more place to ride.

I've used my MTB for a few road races and although you're not going get lighting quick times, you can't take the road bike on the single track.

MTB races are also much more fun.

So all the time you've been on the hub you did not even own a bicycle?...

Hahaha I was wondering when someone would notice

Yip Cav..I dont have a bike, yet!

Definately go mtb as a first bike...

MTB, more place to ride.

I've used my MTB for a few road races and although you're not going get lighting quick times, you can't take the road bike on the single track.

MTB races are also much more fun.

I dont think anyone I have spoken to has said get a road bike first

How about a light 29er hardiial, particularly a carbon one? You can ride anywhere offroad, but with slicks and bar-ends will be almost as fast as a road bike - maybe get an extra wheelset with slicks. Will bust your budget 'though, but you might never need that second bike.

Firstly, you must decide which of the 2 disciplines you want to partake in and then decide what bike. Although you can ride a MTB on the road, you are going to struggle to keep up with your friends. Even if you add slicks, there is no comparison. Of course, you won't be able to ride a road bike on the dirt.

If your aim is to buy both (you said another bike in 6 months), then get the MTB first.