26/27.5/29 Mega Merge Thread.

Tieffels

Please bear with me:

If you look at all the pro's (momentum, which is suddenly a good thing?.. rolls easy over stuff.. apparently.. But not so much if I judge the descending skills of the okes at Barberton..) and cons (slower acceleration due to added weight) of a 29er MTB setup, my question is this:

Should the next big thing not be 26er road bikes?

And I'm actually being serious. All the roadies are so hard up on weight and flex and what not, why not make the wheels smaller? What is there to lose?

Edited by chickenrun4me

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please bear with me:

If you look at all the pro's (momentum, which is suddenly a good thing?.. rolls easy over stuff.. apparently.. But not so much if I judge the descending skills of the okes at Barberton..) and cons (slower acceleration due to added weight) of a 29er MTB setup, my question is this:

And I'm actually being serious. All the roadies are so hard up on weight and flex and what not, why not make the wheels smaller? What is there to lose?

Why stop there?

20 inch carbon fibre BMX wheels filled with helium should be just the thing :blink:

Please bear with me:

It has been tried, +/- 20 years ago triathletes started raving about 650C sized wheels, seems to have died out nowdays.

Speed! With smaller wheels you will need higher cadence or different gearing.

Same with 29ers, and its sorted..

I just feel very sorry for the roadies for being left out of the trend parade..

It has been tried, +/- 20 years ago triathletes started raving about 650C sized wheels, seems to have died out nowdays.

Time for a comeback?

Wheel Schmeel.

Everybody and their dog has one (29'er) these days. It is not funny anymore. If you ride a 26", you are now the odd one out.

Trek,Pinarello and Parlee make 650 wheeled bikes for ladies and kids.

Zipp and Felt had some great looking TT bikes on 650 wheels and the guys used to ride a 11-21 cassette and 56t or 58t chainring.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1671/dpp71832954718.jpg

http://cdn.cyclingforums.com/d/d5/d54a5362_IMG_20111010_122215.jpeg

http://www.togoparts.com/bikeprofile/images/full/2662.jpg

Edited by gummibear

Wheel Schmeel.

Everybody and their dog has one (29'er) these days. It is not funny anymore. If you ride a 26", you are now the odd one out.

I must say that's not my observation but be that as it may nearly everyone I speak to that is riding a 26" is either waiting for one on order or planning to buy one when they can ....

In the past year there has been a noticeable mass migration to the bigger wheels. At Barberton this past weekend it was evident.They might have their advantages but I think old skool is kool for now. Although I am yet to see a Scalpel 29'er out there, and when I do I might feel a bit different.

Edited by kosmonooit

I must say that's not my observation but be that as it may nearly everyone I speak to that is riding a 26" is either waiting for one on order or planning to buy one when they can ....

Or is extremely happy with their super light 26er that descends and goes through the tight singletrack and switchbacks better than any 29er ever will. :ph34r:

Hat, Coat, Door.

In the past year there has been a noticeable mass migration to the bigger wheels. At Barberton this past weekend it was evident.They might have their advantages but I think old skool is kool for now. Although I am yet to see a Scalpel 29'er out there, and when I do I might feel a bit different.

Like this perhaps ;)

post-271-0-16571000-1328121844.jpg

Im a 26" fan make no mistake its faster in places the the 29er is not .however i have a flash 29er too and it is one fantasic bike , personnally i dont think its the wheel size but the frame that makes it like that . This debate is so dead on whats better , ride what makes you happy and what you enjoy.