Locking up bikes for Insurance purposes

wapad

Doing a bit of stock take in the garage I realise that the collective value of my Kit is climbing steeply

My main bikes are insured, my question is do you guys lock your bikes to a fixed point aswell in the garage or do they sleep inside

I'm sure my Insurance stipulates this

My bikes are in the garage which has a passive infrared sensor and the entrance door is locked securely and the garage door is securely operated by remote only(that said, until some moegoe gets hold of a remote!) Have had no problems to date but should probably confirm the fine print with my insurer..

I had my bikes insured for out and about. That way at home as far as I know they were not insured, but as soon as I took to the road it was. Best to have it under lock and key all the time. That way the insurance have no leg to stand on.

Had 3 bikes stolen this year. All from a locked garage and chained to a wall. Insurance, Hollard, didn't give me a hard time. They paid up. Now have electric fence and the builders that were working on my property have moved on to new victims, sorry I mean clients.

In my garage on wall mounts, not locked and neither is the door, but i do have a 2.4m exterior wall with 8 strand electric fence, and 3 beautiful security guards (rottweilers) who never go on strike.

Mine are inside, all individually locked then a cable running through all the locks and although the locks and cable can be broken this will just add extra time. I have alarm sensors in the passage leading to the room so by the time the thieves get to the bikes the security company will have arrived.

Previous house they slept inside and had a passive on them. No locks. Current place of residence they sleep in the garage. Cable running through both and going to fit a wall bolt the weekend and another cable through them and the bikes. Garage door is alarmed but no passives. ..... Bike room will be at the next place ..... hopefully

Inside the garage, behind outside beams, inside passive and locked ! Im OCD .

And insured !

Edited by Iron

You won't need to chain your bike to something if it is in a locked garage . The securing bike issue is more for when you away from the risk address . Most insurers will only cover your bike if it is specified. You could technically argue that it forms part of your contents if it gets stolen from inside your house or out building . Inside being operative word . In the Garden won't count .

Just locked in the garage, no other locks than the door. And no alarm at my hose either - weirdly, insurance is cheaper without an alarm, than to a non-linked alarm, and only R9 or so more expensive without one.

I do have a 12 gauge next to the bed though :) Lovely thing that ...