Roadie plonker!!

mrbaker

Hope you also speak to the taxis for setting a bad example

and those talking on their phones and those eating and those scratching their balls ....the list goes on. The OP did not word it very nicely but the fact remains that cyclists have a bad name on the road adn WE can do something about it - one of those ways is to make people aware that when people see you without a helmet, then that means you have no regard for the law. The more we make an issue of disobeying the law the more it will stick in cyclists minds that it is not a good thing and then it will stop. Individually by making a cyclist aware, I can do something - not so easy for taxi drivers and phone talkers and ball scratchers

edit: edited text

Edited by Stretch

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well - now that I have everyones back up (except the mtb'ers)... :whistling:

This morning at 07:00 whilst driving home from squash - I rode past some roadie probably in his 50's riding on Michelle Avenue (JHB South) which is a very busy road - WITHOUT a helmet!!

I think he's mad - does he not hear about all the cycling deaths or perhaps he thinks he is taxi / car / bus / truck proof..??..

Sorry mate, I think you're mad if you think that a helmet is going to save him from the taxi/bus/truck. It will be his skill, judgement and visibility that saves him, not a helmet. Helmets are over-rated - Google any decent study on cycling safety.

If he was in his 50's without a helmet he probably started riding/racing before helmets existed (yes, there was such a time believe it or not!) - he's been doing fine up 'till now hasn't he?

Well - now that I have everyones back up (except the mtb'ers)... :whistling:

This morning at 07:00 whilst driving home from squash - I rode past some roadie probably in his 50's riding on Michelle Avenue (JHB South) which is a very busy road - WITHOUT a helmet!!

I think he's mad - does he not hear about all the cycling deaths or perhaps he thinks he is taxi / car / bus / truck proof..??..

I see cyclist often riding without helmets,STUPID !

Edited by bassasdaindia

If only the government put as much effort into banning pineapples on pizzas as they do trying to outlaw smoking, the world would be a much better place.

and bbq sauce!

and those talking on their phones and those eating and those scratching their balls ....the list goes on. The OP did not word it very nicely but the fact remains that cyclists have a bad name on the road adn WE can do something about it - one of those ways is to make people aware that when people see you without a helmet, then that means you have no regard for the law. The more we make an issue of disobeying the law the more it will stick in cyclists minds that it is not a good thing and then it will stop. Individually by making a cyclist aware, I can do something - not so easy for taxi drivers and phone talkers and ball scratchers

edit: edited text

You live in a dream world!

This argument is as stupid as moaning about cyclist not greeting. I don't know you, why should I greet? I don't greet everyone else who drives a car!

If only the government put as much effort into banning pineapples on pizzas as they do trying to outlaw smoking, the world would be a much better place.

+1

How is this your problem?

How many mothers have you moaned at recently driving with their kids not buckled up?

I did that once in traffic... The lady I scolded wouldn't park next to me afterwards. She left a gap of about three cars behind me!

I soon learned that we live in a country that is inhabited by people that need to be policed as opposed to being able to police themselves. Regardless of whether it is a stupid law or not, if it has been gazetted, you are obliged to comply. If you get caught by the police, you need to pay the fine. The fact that half of the laws aren't policed and that a lot of our boys and girls in blue (Metro Police, SAPS, etc) don't follow the rules is irrelevant. (The fact that they should be setting an example, well lets not even go there...)

The law is meant to be upheld by all citizens of the country. Nobody is above the law. If you choose to not wear a helmet because you think it is a stupid law, that is your choice. Fact is that you are breaking the law and the police are entitled to issue you with a fine.

@ the OP: Don't lose any sleep over it. Only the strong will survive.

This argument is as stupid as moaning about cyclist not greeting. I don't know you, why should I greet? I don't greet everyone else who drives a car!

because greeting someone is acknowledging the fact that they are doing something that you love - its like saying "hey buddy - good on you!"

you must be great company at a party

because greeting someone is acknowledging the fact that they are doing something that you love - its like saying "hey buddy - good on you!"

you must be great company at a party

Then why do people come and moan for pages when you are not greeted, or not wear a helmet.. It is not anyone else's problem.

What he does, wearing a helmet or not paying his tax.

You clearly don't know anybody that drives a Land Rover.... Your argument is invalid.

Then why do people come and moan for pages when you are not greeted, or not wear a helmet.. It is not anyone else's problem.

What he does, wearing a helmet or not paying his tax.

because of the reasons i told you - awareness

its a stupid law. Are you going to stop every farm worker on they way home and crap them out for not wearing a helmet?

I dont agree with all the laws either ... but that isnt the point I was making.

So no one drives drunk because it's 'against the law'?

Much the opposite - just like people riding without helumts. I was not comparing the two but like most things the gov has made the decision for us.