Road Race on MTB

P.A.K.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah as stated above - when I catch them roadies on tar during momentum health duathlons those knobblies make a delicious noise...

Not washed...rolling with a camelbak and knobblies + suspension on full open for extra points

........The next road race I am going to do on my mountain bike and I am going overtake the roadies from the left hand side on the pavement over the dirt....man that would be brilliant...LOL

I did the Macsteel Carnival road race a while back on my MTB just to get ride time for Sani. I started right at the back and had an absolute blast - and the best part was passing a bunch of the E-group guys up a hill on the LHS in the dirt ;-)

Ah man ...just read your post ...you beat me to it...great idea passing LHS in the dirt :clap:

I still think we need to build a trailer for a cooler box with a case of beer and we can all take turns pulling it!

Like this??

post-1372-0-50187200-1346348384.png

Did loads of road races on my mountain bike. Roadies dont seem to care. Unlikely you will come across the serious ones anyway. They are all seeded and will be getting home after their race when an unseeded MTB gets into the start pen.

A road race on a MTB is lots of fun. I used to have a bright orange rack on my black canondale from my touring commuting days. Used to get some funny looks in the race from that.

Okay, stupid question - but why even bother doing a road race? If you're just there to piss about, then rather save the money and go ride where you usually do. Unless, of course, the idea is to try to beat some people. In that case just get a road bike.

I only own a MTB and the 2 road races I've done, I just loaned a buddy's old road bike. Much better - you can stay with decent riders and do a decent time. Otherwise IMO, it's just a waste of time.

Okay, stupid question - but why even bother doing a road race? If you're just there to piss about, then rather save the money and go ride where you usually do. Unless, of course, the idea is to try to beat some people. In that case just get a road bike.

I only own a MTB and the 2 road races I've done, I just loaned a buddy's old road bike. Much better - you can stay with decent riders and do a decent time. Otherwise IMO, it's just a waste of time.

that's your opinion and you have the right to express it.

can't remember his name, but someone once said... it's not about the bike

or in some cases about the time, it's about enjoy the day/ride with what you have, aka FUN!!

that's your opinion and you have the right to express it.

can't remember his name, but someone once said... it's not about the bike

or in some cases about the time, it's about enjoy the day/ride with what you have, aka FUN!!

My point - one will have more fun at a ROAD race on a ROAD bike.

I do however echo most people's sentiment about not giving a rat's ass about what other people think.

Cause it's a jol, and I don't see the point of racing for 2345 th spot. Lekker day out and having fun is never a waste of my time.

My point - one will have more fun at a ROAD race on a ROAD bike.

I do however echo most people's sentiment about not giving a rat's ass about what other people think.

Why will you have more....it will be more efficient and you will get home quicker yes...but having more fun is relative

Cause it's a jol, and I don't see the point of racing for 2345 th spot. Lekker day out and having fun is never a waste of my time.

Fair enough, but I still think its a bit like taking your Toyota Hilux to a track day at Kyalami. You'd still tell your buddies that you had a jol - but deep down you wish you'd had an Audi R8 to thrash around the track.

Fair enough, but I still think its a bit like taking your Toyota Hilux to a track day at Kyalami. You'd still tell your buddies that you had a jol - but deep down you wish you'd had an Audi R8 to thrash around the track.

Demmit actually I would love to take my double cab around the track but I wouldn't say no to a spin in the r8 either. To each their own