IM70.3 SA 2013

Blindspot

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with the R5k plan. No way in my opinion except if you have friends living there and are driving down.

Just an idea but for R5k rather do 2 x Midmar 70.3 as well as the Buffelspoort 70.3 especially if you are new to the sport. Less people and less pressure. More relaxed. Then once in the hang of things do the EL. Just my thoughts.....

Just an idea but for R5k rather do 2 x Midmar 70.3 as well as the Buffelspoort 70.3 especially if you are new to the sport. Less people and less pressure. More relaxed. Then once in the hang of things do the EL. Just my thoughts.....

The problem is that when the wind is from the front and you have 3,000 athletes on the route it is impossible not to draft.

And if 200 guys draft in one bunch what can they really do? Just watch last years 70.3 DVD. It looks like the Argus!!

But it is fun none the less!!

I like the drafting and chit chat bit especially if there's a wind :whistling: just got to watch for those damn ref's :ph34r:

I had bunches of closer to 100 riders coming past me in the cycle with the marshals riding next to them... Think they just gave up on doing anything about it. It did spoil the spirit of the race quite a bit for me, but at the end of the day I was racing against myself so just plodded along on the side of the road and let them go.

Yeah same here. At about the 80km mark i had a bunch of about a 100 come past. I just sat up and let them go. Also chirped them a little but they dont really care

If you can do Jailbreak rather do that.

There are just too many bikes on the course. And the fact that they are mostly TT bikes (ie. less manoeuvreable) makes it a receipe for disaster on the downhills.

I'm thinking about it but only started swimming a month ago and don't even own running shoes. Otherwise I'm on track.

I disagree, For your first Half Ironman go do the "real Mccoy", Nothing like the organisation and Vibe at the Official 70.3, The Red carpet and Paul Kaye calling you home.... As a First timer i would personally do the EL 70.3.

But I agree the Midmar, Buffelspoort etc etc are easier races and "alot" Cheaper entry fees

The 70.3 is currently the big race I am aiming for but I did the calculations and for me to goe and do the race (accompanied by my wife) it will be about 5K. So I dont know if it is worth it.

I have started the Triathletes training Bible and am in Base1 currently. So we will se how it goes as the longest event I have ever doen in Tri was the Xterra Buffelspoort this year.

Whould the athletes that have done some 70.3's say it is worth the 5K (travel, accomodation, race etc...)?

It can get expensive, especially if you still have to buy all the equipment and stuff. My wife did it as well this year and we spent about 10K, but that includes a wetsuit. Was it worth it? Definitely. My wife will be 8 months preggies, cheering me on next year :thumbup:

I disagree, For your first Half Ironman go do the "real Mccoy", Nothing like the organisation and Vibe at the Official 70.3, The Red carpet and Paul Kaye calling you home.... As a First timer i would personally do the EL 70.3.

But I agree the Midmar, Buffelspoort etc etc are easier races and "alot" Cheaper entry fees

Agree with this view 100% Did my first 70.3 last year in EL and had an absolute jol. Drafting on the ride was an issue but pretty sure they are going to be a lot stricter this year.

Just kicked off the training for next year, broken collarbone means no swimming for a few more weeks but that shouldn't be a big issue. Aiming for a sub 6 hour

No first hand experience - but this is what I have been hearing from mates for a years and is why I am finally giving it a go.... I guess its like the Argus - once you have done a few the novelty / atmosphere etc may wear off for some but when you first do it that is part of the fun...

I'm thinking about it but only started swimming a month ago and don't even own running shoes. Otherwise I'm on track.

Thats fine some guy did it barefoot last year :thumbup:

Yep he's right

Thats fine some guy did it barefoot last year :thumbup:

Ok forget the shoes then, I just need to start running now :eek:

I only started swimming September last year. After only two lenghts in the pool I was exhausted. I am a terrible sinker and the wetsuit was my best investment. If you can, go to PE during December and swim in the sea to get familiar with the real thing and to build confidence.

I will be there! Already started to train, and it is going good so far. Have to perfect the swimming leg though.