When Do you kick it up a gear ?

Beer is liquid.....

Agreed, but that was to my detriment as I over carbo loaded the night before and missed the race :blush:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For 40km:

I eat a decent breakfast before a race, bowl of cereal, some toast with cheese and bacon and a banana or 2.

At 15-25km in I eat a couple of jungle oats bars. I have water in the camelback and Energade or Game in a bottle and sip throughout the race.

That's what works for me.

:eek:

I'm with Dangle on this one.

Take it easy and do not rush to the bigger distance.

Take enough Protien and find out during training what works for you. Do not try new stuff and products during a race.

Sorry to jump in randomly, but I have a question. Is it ok to train with just water and race with a energy drink? I do this so that my body gets a "kick" from the supplements during the race and doesn't get used to the same thing over and over during training. I use 32Gi

I have a 750ml bottle of 32GI Endurance on my way to the race, and another one while I'm racing. That, together with half a bar one, or some GU Energy gums (hate the gel) every 45 mins, and I haven't hit the wall ever since.

Leaves me with enough energy to finish strong

Sorry to jump in randomly, but I have a question. Is it ok to train with just water and race with a energy drink? I do this so that my body gets a "kick" from the supplements during the race and doesn't get used to the same thing over and over during training. I use 32Gi

Not always a good idea to only train on water. Your body needs to learn how to use the supplements/energy drinks you give it. I normally train mainly on water but will ride with 32GI once a week (normally longer rides) just to make sure my body knows how to use/handle the stuff.

Try mixing up your training supplements and see how you react? I doubt whether your body can get used to the additional nutrients absorbed from an energy drink, but I'm no expert at all. I suggest you try different things.

For me, an easy ride of 2:30 - 3:00 hours I will only drink water, but an intense workout of, eg 1:30, I might have some Energade, etc. So I guess it depends on what works for you

Too Late to stick to the 25km races for a while I've just changed this weekends race the Lynford clover classic to the 40km race. Got energy left when i finish the 25km races, I've been racing with water in my camelbac and powerade in my bottle the only thing i'm not doing is eating anything,

I guess a Protein Shake is worthwhile before the race.

Too Late to stick to the 25km races for a while I've just changed this weekends race the Lynford clover classic to the 40km race. Got energy left when i finish the 25km races, I've been racing with water in my camelbac and powerade in my bottle the only thing i'm not doing is eating anything,

I guess a Protein Shake is worthwhile before the race.

My personal opinion: Rather eat some "real" food before a race. Bacon and egg sandwich, muesli, oats, Future Life. Whatever you prefer. But I suggest something Low GI, and as I say, real food.

For me, 2 slices of whole wheat bread, 4 or 5 eggs and an avo works well :clap:

I'm with Dangle on this one.

Take it easy and do not rush to the bigger distance.

Take enough Protien and find out during training what works for you. Do not try new stuff and products during a race.

Yip, quite simple really, but let's leave it to the floor, I have never been close to stone last on an Epic prologue, so didn't quite require that much food.

My personal opinion: Rather eat some "real" food before a race. Bacon and egg sandwich, muesli, oats, Future Life. Whatever you prefer. But I suggest something Low GI, and as I say, real food.

For me, 2 slices of whole wheat bread, 4 or 5 eggs and an avo works well :clap:

I am not to sure if this works equally well for the guys behind you in races :whistling:

I am not to sure if this works equally well for the guys behind you in races :whistling:

It's a simple strategy, yet it seems to work very well :clap:

I'm in Durban for work from Wednesday till Saturday...any good cycling shops I can try and get around to, maybe scout for something new I "need"? :whistling:

Thats what i thought so have booked my self in to do a few 40km+ events

Starting on the 13/10 with Van Reenen "Over the Edge & Back" MTB Challenge

When you say nutrition do you mean halfway thru have a power bar or banana something with carbs to keep the energy up

Sjoe, you didn't just go for a standard 40km race; you signed up for a real climbing event. You'll crap yourself going down and then **** yourself coming back up!

:eek:

What?

They're lekker and give nice sustained energy and soft enough to chew when you're breathing hard.

And they're lekker!

:thumbup:

You have chosen 2 very hard climbing events to switch to 40k+ on so be prepared to ride the first half at least at an easier pace, then see how you feeling before pushing the balance ofthe races, study the profiles and see where your hard long climbs etc are in relation to the distances you have done and still have to do, dont whatever you do get cought up in the hipe at the start and go out to fast. Do yourself a favour and drink 300 -400ml of an energy drink in the hour prior to the start and take a banana cut into 3rds and an energy bar, you need to eat something every 30 to 40 minutes to replace your energy levels, 1 third of a banana and a third of the energy bar each time. too many riders wait until they start feeling tired or have depleted their energy levels before topping up, then they bonk and dont know why. you must start topping up from the word go so the fuel has time to get into your body. use the coke on the race for fast topups but only drink small quantities as you will also have your water/juice bottles with you. The coke particularly after long hard climbs replaces fuel very quickly. Never rely totally on the tables for replacement food and drink, you dont know if they have had logistical problems or not and on very hot days they can run out easly. Use the water at the tables to cool yourself off as well. You will note everything is in moderation small regular constant replacement is they key.

good luck and enjoy the rides