What reasons can ther be for my HR spiking....

Bianchisti

at the out set of the ride if I'm not going under a power lines or something. I was going around 32km/h just setting off. Mallfunction with the Garmin?

It's still quite dry out there. I've found, especially in winter, that the static in my clothing sometimes sends my reading way out. I'm talking up to 250 bpm.

Wear a cotton shirt under your cycling gear and this should help.

The other thing I find could cause this spike is riding behind the likes of Emily Batty or some other equally alluring cycling partner. The only reason I knew mine was the static issue is that my cycling partners are all hairy and quite unattractive! (good thing they don't know my hub name... but they know who they are... :ph34r: )

Edited by Jigghead

at the out set of the ride if I'm not going under a power lines or something. I was going around 32km/h just setting off. Mallfunction with the Garmin?

also happens if the battery is starting to wear out. change it.

Can also be that you did not wet the contact patches enough when you put the strap on.

Also make sure that the contact patches is clean (no build up of old sweat), that can also cause spikes.

Can also be that you did not wet the contact patches enough when you put the strap on.

Also make sure that the contact patches is clean (no build up of old sweat), that can also cause spikes.

What's the best way to clean these? I use the polar and only rinse mine after each exercise. I also use the same strap when swimming, will this keep it clean enough or should I clean it separately? Can one use soap to clean them?

:thumbup: +1

What's the best way to clean these? I use the polar and only rinse mine after each exercise. I also use the same strap when swimming, will this keep it clean enough or should I clean it separately? Can one use soap to clean them?

Rinse it as soon as possible after a ride, rinse it properly. Once a month, take the sender unit of, place the strap into a sock, and chuck it into the washing machine with the rest of your cycling clothes (remember, no Sta Soft). After the wash, rinse it again with clean water, hang up to dry (out of the sun, obviously) and Bobs your Uncle.

I think it is a Garmin issue. I and a lot of my friends have a spike reading on our Garmin's at the start of the ride. :eek: :eek: