Chain Reaction Cycles experience

Clinton1

Well, look at it like this - you paid an extra R 300 to have it NOW. That R 300 was worth 1 or 2 hours of your time, max. And you have the colour / model etc that you want, perhaps 3 weeks before you could have received it from the local agents.

and for R300 has now learnt how best to shop online and how to avoid the pitfalls of doing so in the future where such a miss understanding may have cost considerably more should it be a big order... not an expensive experience in the great scheme of things!! :mellow:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep yep yep!

And a word of warning - the same goes for clothing on CRC, or any international retailer. Make SURE the stuff is Max 50% of the local price before ordering. Otherwise VAT & duties will give you a nasty shock.

....but remember you may just have Christmas come early if your parcel sneaks through customs without attracting duties! Not sure how often it happens but I'm one from two at the moment ;)

When shopping on ebay, suppliers often put the price lower on the declaration for customs else put it down as a gift, so duties are reduced !! :thumbup:

I just paid R411,62 Duty & VAT on a helmet bought from CRC for R687 (+ R199 for DHL shipping)

Lesson learned, don't buy helmets from CRC if you think it is going to be a bargain. :thumbdown:

Last parcel we got from a smaller bikeshop in the UK,friend of mine stays near to it.1st time ive done a order that was mostly merchandise not parts.

Was helms,goggles,shinpads,kneeguards & bmx bars.

Think even the bars got hit the 40%,so 1st time ive been charged alot,but got through cheap lots to so..

Was still cheaper then what i could of got it here....o wait i couldnt even have got it here :thumbup:

Ye when you need merchandise spread it out into lots of parts orders.Lets hope lexx dun read goodest est .

One thing I have noticed importing: DHL look for a reason to charge you VAT (and Duty if applicable) so they can collect R100, ParcelForce/EMS generally charge VAT (and Duty if applicable) and collect R35, Post Office more often than not excludes the need to collect and you save the R35/R100.

Therefor I rarely use a courier on imports.

Ordered an IDT from CRC last year. Arrived at work a week and half later delivered by the PO guy. Cheaper than buying it local until CWC had the same one on special :(

My latest feedback:

Bought a new pair of wheels on CRC.

Ordered last week Tuesday, paid for Parcel Force shipping.

Wheels dispatched on Wed, arrived in RSA on Sunday morning delivered to my office this morning.

So that is less than a 7 days. Pretty good.

Ordered an IDT from CRC last year. Arrived at work a week and half later delivered by the PO guy. Cheaper than buying it local until CWC had the same one on special :(

was that the Satori? IIRC that was a wicked, wicked special by CWC. Like R 1,200 off (their) retail price

was that the Satori? IIRC that was a wicked, wicked special by CWC. Like R 1,200 off (their) retail price

Tacx Sirius Gel trainer - maybe R200 cheaper when it was on special at CWC.

Without reading all six pages- I have just had brilliant service from chain reaction:

I ordered some rims three weeks ago, those arrived within 7 days.

I had to wait two weeks before having them built (waiting for some hubs), but could finally have them built yesterday.

An hour later the LBS phones me with the news that one rim is bent... :eek: :eek:

The braking surface next to the valve hole was completely bent in... (I was not lus for the admin).

I email CRC, they requested pictures, and one day later a new rim is on the way! :clap: :clap:

No returning of the wheel, no filling out forms - simply: 'here's a new one'.

I am sure that it is the right thing to do anyway, but I was expecting way more admin!