Karoo to Coast

JGR

Who is doing this and can offer some advise from previous years. Also the WAGS are coming along - does anyone know if there are any vantage points where they can see a bit of the action?

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JGR

There are a couple of threads on what to expect and useful advice on The Hub, do a search for “Karoo”.

As for spectator points for WAGs, there is not a lot of opportunity as the race is point to point on a road that is closed to traffic.

Near the start, the crossing of the R62 at Avontuur is accessible and thereafter they will have to go to Knysna and then back-track up past Simola where you will look very different to when they last saw you ………..

JGR

There are a couple of threads on what to expect and useful advice on The Hub, do a search for “Karoo”.

As for spectator points for WAGs, there is not a lot of opportunity as the race is point to point on a road that is closed to traffic.

Near the start, the crossing of the R62 at Avontuur is accessible and thereafter they will have to go to Knysna and then back-track up past Simola where you will look very different to when they last saw you ………..

Thanks Eddy,

I went through the other threads but most were about training and accommodation and nothing specific like what to expect, 100's of people storming in uniondale and finding meal but mostly my girlfriend is driving the car from uniondale to knysna and was hoping she could see me suffering (it makes her happy!)

I went through the other threads but most were about training and accommodation and nothing specific like what to expect,

If is like the last few years, expect harassed tannies at the registration. For some reason they only have people listed under their start numbers with no alphabetical cross-reference list to find you by name. So you have to go and stand in a queue for somebody to look you up on the REKENAAR. So remember your number and take it with you.

Second, there will be a queue at the men's k@khuis at the caravan park. Take your own bog roll.

Thirdly, the batch start system is quite effective and easy to use - it runs down a side street and you are set off by 'n omie with a shotgun. Oh, and there will be someone who jumps the start queue and moves to the front of the batch as you move up to the start.

As the gun goes, all hassles are behind you and a great experience awaits. The first four or 5 kays are on the main drag as they get the batch spread out before you hit the Ou wa-pad. Last year the surface was quite good (almost as if they had done some preparation of it) and you can easily ride it all unless somebody stops and does not clear the riding line. This is likely to be the guy who jumped the start queue.

Going down the Wa-pad be prepared to dodge dropped water bottles by the dozen, or stop to pick up some nutrition if you forgot to pack your own.

Then it is up the hill, down the hill, rinse and repeat until you find a mother of a steep section about 10 kays from the end. Here you will encounter everybody who came flying past you up the second last hill and also be passed by all those you thought you had left behind some time earlier. This is the moment of truth and a good spot for your beloved to come and laugh at you.

Thereafter it is downhill on a nice tar section and into town along the lagoon for a well earned beer.

There is nothing technical at all and even though you cycle “down” to the coast, you spend most of time riding uphill. There is very little (almost no) flat bits and the down-hills are all fast and quickly over. So, no kidding, If you do 4:30, you will be going uphill for 4 hours. Be prepared for it !

Edited by eddy

If is like the last few years, expect harassed tannies at the registration. For some reason they only have people listed under their start numbers with no alphabetical cross-reference list to find you by name. So you have to go and stand in a queue for somebody to look you up on the REKENAAR. So remember your number and take it with you.

Second, there will be a queue at the men's k@khuis at the caravan park. Take your own bog roll.

Thirdly, the batch start system is quite effective and easy to use - it runs down a side street and you are set off by 'n omie with a shotgun. Oh, and there will be someone who jumps the start queue and moves to the front of the batch as you move up to the start.

As the gun goes, all hassles are behind you and a great experience awaits. The first four or 5 kays are on the main drag as they get the batch spread out before you hit the Ou wa-pad. Last year the surface was quite good (almost as if they had done some preparation of it) and you can easily ride it all unless somebody stops and does not clear the riding line. This is likely to be the guy who jumped the start queue.

Going down the Wa-pad be prepared to dodge dropped water bottles by the dozen, or stop to pick up some nutrition if you forgot to pack your own.

Then it is up the hill, down the hill, rinse and repeat until you find a mother of a steep section about 10 kays from the end. Here you will encounter everybody who came flying past you up the second last hill and also be passed by all those you thought you had left behind some time earlier. This is the moment of truth and a good spot for your beloved to come and laugh at you.

Thereafter it is downhill on a nice tar section and into town along the lagoon for a well earned beer.

There is nothing technical at all and even though you cycle “down” to the coast, you spend most of time riding uphill. There is very little (almost no) flat bits and the down-hills are all fast and quickly over. So, no kidding, If you do 4:30, you will be going uphill for 4 hours. Be prepared for it !

will be my first K2C & this report was lank funny.????

Thanks Eddy, this was just the kind of important and honest feedback i was looking for!

You make a number of good points for the first timer! (must remember bog roll).

Doing my first one as well this year, and from what I could gather from experienced K2C riders (colleagues, friends, etc) is that the route is a bit

more difficult than what the profile tends to give away. Apparently the climbs are not steep, but very long. And from what eddy said, it seems like that's the most important thing :whistling:

eddy obviously has had a couple of encounters along the way there :clap:

This is likely to be the guy who jumped the start queue.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It's a classic strong man race.

Climb for 5 kms, descend for 2.5 kms, climb for 10 kms, awesome descent for 14 kms that takes just under 15 minutes, climb for 6 kms, descend for 5 kms, climb for 14 kms, descend for 9 kms, climb for 7 kms, descend for 9 kms, a real bitch of a climb referred to above for 3 kms, descend and flat home.

Drop 750m in total to sea level but climb 45 kms on a downhill course! At least the climbs are long and steady, and all on perfect mountain biking freeways.

Only negative of the whole event is the k@khuis experience in the morning.

post-35786-0-52968100-1347290449.jpg

(must remember bog roll).

Actually, as i was trying to keep my response PG13, i did not mention that more important than the bog roll, you should remember to pack your gum boots and a gas mask !

Hey, use the garage toilet as you enter Uniondale .... Save yourself a long wait and no long drop.....

Hit that one around 5:30am one year (about 2004). It was possibly the most disgusting experience of my life. The porcelain looked like it had been skidded by 100 drunks who could barely aim, never mind flush. The portaloos were luxury by comparison....

This year we might tow our own luxury loo, I see a few on the beach in Paarden Eiland ready to be towed away!

This year we might tow our own luxury loo, I see a few on the beach in Paarden Eiland ready to be towed away!

Tickets at the door or can I book a seat through Computicket ? :whistling: