Pocket Knives ?

Scooter69

Anybody know of a decent knife that is hard and keeps a stupidly sharp edge, it can be brittle coz it's only for straight line cuts?

Sharper than my Benchmade, and no more than say R3 500

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know of a decent knife that is hard and keeps a stupidly sharp edge, it can be brittle coz it's only for straight line cuts?

Spyderco Caly3, with the ZDP-189 blade.

Sharpest knive I've ever owned, and the edge stays hair-splitting sharp forever.

post-6635-0-13063500-1347708486.jpg

Edited by Flowspeed

In my opinion there is no single best choice for your requirements.

Just about any knife can be sharpened up nicely, and will perform normal cutting tasks well.

Remember that a hard brittle knife is difficult to sharpen, and does not always cut any better than others, it will require sharpening at some time, regardless of advertising claims.

Avoid the cheap Chinese and Far Eastern "stainless" and "surgical" steels, they do not work.

Sharpening should be seen as a normal part of knife usage, it is unavoidable.

I have often watched large animals being skinned and dressed out, the skinners often only using the humble Okapi slipjoint, they are quick and efficient at the task.

Avoid serrated blades for normal cutting tasks.

The choice of any knife is a very personal thing, no one else but you can choose a knife.

Spending "big bucks" is often not necessary at all.

Hope this helps.

:thumbup:

That is a lovely Puma Stockmans knife, you do not see them anymore.

Is your "braai knife" a Case ?.

Nope...it's a Carl Schlieper. The little crest does look similar though :thumbup:

The higher end cold steels are pretty damn tough!

Even the lower end knives are pretty tough as well.

Watch some of the videos on their site!

One pays anything between R800-00 and R4000-00 for a quality knive. To spend this amount of money on an EDC, that I cannot justify, no matter what. Luckily Spyderco feels the same and produce a “cheaper” range of knives under the trade mark of Byrd, the name of one of their top designers.

I’ve carried Byrds’ for the past four years and find it to be an adequate. Surely not inferior to Spyderco. Furthermore, losing a Byrd leaves one a maximum of R500-00 out of pocket, which is a lot easier to stomach than, example a Pacific Salt.

this one is two years old and shows its age

post-26304-0-01466200-1347824525.jpg

post-26304-0-15472400-1347824890.jpg

Edited by Hyperventilate

Wow, some beautiful knives here...

My collection, not quite as great as some on here and not realy brand names..

Top one i dont think counts as a knife but its what i reach fro when the house alarm goes off at night... The middle left was made by my grandfather when he was still at school and the multi-tool is a stainless steel harley davidson edition.

Bottom left is what i tend to take with me when i go into the outdoors...

post-13500-0-28539600-1347828385.jpg

One pays anything between R800-00 and R4000-00 for a quality knive. To spend this amount of money on an EDC, that I cannot justify, no matter what. Luckily Spyderco feels the same and produce a “cheaper” range of knives under the trade mark of Byrd, the name of one of their top designers.

I’ve carried Byrds’ for the past four years and find it to be an adequate. Surely not inferior to Spyderco. Furthermore, losing a Byrd leaves one a maximum of R500-00 out of pocket, which is a lot easier to stomach than, example a Pacific Salt.

this one is two years old and shows its age

What webbing is that laying on?

SWWEEEEEET. My name is on your screen!

SWWEEEEEET. My name is on your screen!

That's probably because you are next...... Beware of the Butcher...