are expensive parts making us soft

Stretch

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

when it comes to cassettes and chains I don't go big spender. I pretty much get the cheapest cassette that has that central alu spider.

sure - but even still - a new slx, xt ,x0,x9 chainring/s plus chain plus cassette is going to set you back a couple of grand - what was encountered on Sat and sun (at hill2hill) was definitely not worth that - any other situation is fair game in my books

Keeping spare parts...

now that is a sensible idea...i actually considered that as I have a whole 3x9 drivetrain in my spares....but decided that schlep of replacing the whole drivetrain wasnt worth it

I'm so glad I ride a BMX, oh wait, sorry, rigid singlespeed mtb.

Chain: R75 (3 or 4 per year, depending on how much I ride.)

Steel cog: R40 (Mine's 18 months old and still "as new")

Chainring: R300 (Mine's 18 months old and still "as new")

Rigid fork - No maintenance

SLX brakes: No maintenance. Still on original pads - 2000km on them. (75% pad life left)

I RIDE IN THE MUD AND SMILE :thumbup:

That's why I SS. Did a ride down in hluhluwe this weekend through a big five game reserve I was ale to ride places that the dual suss gearies had to carry their bie cues the mud had clogged up there drivetrain and wheels so bad.

This was sent to me by a person who did Hill2Hill.

post-24451-0-58131500-1347871623.jpg

Nice to see those pivots/bearings seem to be just out of range from most of the gloop

OMG!!! That will destroy a drivetrain.

as i said before......its all about the type of mud that comes into the equation

This was sent to me by a person who did Hill2Hill.

post-24451-0-58131500-1347871623.jpg

What tyres were they using? That could be half the issue. If the tyres aren't made for mud, they don't shed it and things get nasty

I so badly wanted to ride and I did loads of training but I wouldn't subject any of my bikes to this.

I know some of you have voiced different opinions, but that i just me.

Instead of battling with the mud, I got to spend the whole day with my 4 year old boy.

as i said before......its all about the type of mud that comes into the equation

Exactly..... i rode in scotland and the mud is different, its always raining, so it seems the mud got washed away millions of years ago!!

its like you are riding on wet rotting vegetation and pea stones there. Infact the water on the ground is always clean,,,, you just use real wet lube and your bike is no worse off.. The pic of the PYGA is a F$^& up in my book...

What tyres were they using? That could be half the issue. If the tyres aren't made for mud, they don't shed it and things get nasty

Sometimes it doesn't matter how good a "mud tyre" you have…that stuff just sticks and sticks.