The Secret Race

Dgas

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is sad that doping plays such a huge role in our sport. It is not just the pro's that are involved but all through the sport. Local age groups (that can afford to) will often take any advantage they can get. The sport at pro level does "appear" to be cleaning up (Cadel Evans, in my book, being the most convincing in recent times). LA sure can be a numbnut but he was stronger than most. If he, and the entire peloton was clean, I think he would of still been the strongest. They were all doping and the strongest still won.

Which is worse? breaking the speed limit at 140km/h or 180km/h? or is the crime the same?

Is Tyler less guilty than LA for admiting after being caught or LA denying to the grave?

Interesting thought that. I wonder how many top sportsmen are sociopaths. Check out the characteristics os a sociopath below.

www.healthguidance.org/entry/15850/1/Characteristics-of-a-Sociopath.html

Hansie apparently. Also apparently the problem with studying sociopaths is that they tend to die young, and badly. Sound familiar?

The one comment made by one of the anti-doping chappies went something like "people don't like doping because they think it creates different level playing fields. What people don't realise is that the playing field is completely different to what they think."

Professional athletes will always be looking for the edge, so to think unethical performance enhancement tactics will go away is naive. Also, stripping LA or anyone of titles because they doped is a waste of time as the top 50 are probably doping.

It's probably why the UCI are behaving as they are. They know that doping is so endemic they'd have to ban 70% of the tdf peloton and that would be bad for business.

Guest Omega Man

Hansie apparently. Also apparently the problem with studying sociopaths is that they tend to die young, and badly. Sound familiar?

M. I'd really be interested to see how many famous sportsmen are also sociopaths. That killer instinct and ruthlessness is for sure one of the hallmarks.

An interesting parallel for me could be drawn between LA and Schumacher. Massive public following, legions of fans (me included), Huge PR machine, Mind games, Merciless crushing of oposition, a second coming that never really got off the ground and aparently a real bastard to work with.

Funny thing is I think in war times those are the people getting medals and making those tough decisions

• 1 month later...

Just saw an interview with TH on Sky. The gist of it was he is encouraging LA to come clean and admit what he had done regarding doping. TH seemed to think LA was suffering at home and coming clean would help him to feel better

Guest Omega Man

Just saw an interview with TH on Sky. The gist of it was he is encouraging LA to come clean and admit what he had done regarding doping. TH seemed to think LA was suffering at home and coming clean would help him to feel better

Ja. I totally agree. In fact I predict he will come clean soon. The worst thing that could possibly have happened already has happened so why bother keeping a lid on it.

It could be a HUGE PR coup for him too. Come clean and act the victim of a corrupt system. Legions of fans come flocking back to buy yellow Oakleys and rubber bands. Sign a multi million dollar book deal where he describes being held down by 4 burly blokes the first time he was injected with EPO.

You know you'd buy the book. So would I.

Ja. I totally agree. In fact I predict he will come clean soon. The worst thing that could possibly have happened already has happened so why bother keeping a lid on it.

It could be a HUGE PR coup for him too. Come clean and act the victim of a corrupt system. Legions of fans come flocking back to buy yellow Oakleys and rubber bands. Sign a multi million dollar book deal where he describes being held down by 4 burly blokes the first time he was injected with EPO.

You know you'd buy the book. So would I.

You know it. I will buy any book on cycling but imagine if LA decided to come clean in a book. Lots of people would be very very nervous I would think. It would be a great read

Honestly. He has never tested positive. End of story. Why are there tests in the first place if we place no value on them. Everyone has these theories yet none of you know anything about this topic. I guess you also all read and believed the book "Positively False"?

Julius M has more integrity than Tyler Hamilton

TH was caught only once, he doped only once then?

Guest Omega Man

Or download it from PirateBay!!!!

I didn't want to say it but yes. Hahaha. No way am I gonna buy it and reward a cheat.

The (not so very) Secret (anymore) Race - a must read for anyone who wants to understand how the professional bike racing world worked (works?).

It sure gave me a lot more understanding for the pro racers that doped. I never thought I would have sympathy for people like Tyler Hamilton, but now I do. I know it is wrong what they did, and they should pay the price, but I couldn't help coming to the conclusion that the team managers and owners as well as the sponsers, should carry a lot more of the guilt than the riders. After the Festina Affair, the team bosses learnt quickly. Basically, they facilitated doping but left the rider as the only party to carry the can (full of worms) if tested positive.

I sure would like to hear Lances "truth and nothing but the truth", but won't be holding my breath.

http://1.1.1.4/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png http://1.1.1.4/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png why don't they just have a TDF for dopers and a TDF for non dopers.same race different categories.sort of like the paralympics with different classes for each event.

http://1.1.1.4/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png http://1.1.1.4/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png why don't they just have a TDF for dopers and a TDF for non dopers.same race different categories.sort of like the paralympics with different classes for each event.

Because the dopers will try to sneak into the clean peloton.biggrin.png