Giro d'Italia 2013

tombeej

Giro d’Italia organisers have made plans to start the race’s 19th stage on an alternative route as wintry weather conditions continue to play havoc with the course.

Oh Dear, thats not good for Scarpo's chances to go one or two up in the standings, he needs a long steep climb to build up a head of steam, .................also sounds like it may favor Cadel, I think his climbing legs are toast right now.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stelvio's first Giro appearance was 1953. The legendary Italian Fausto Coppi attacked the Pink Jersey holder the Swiss Hugo Koblet 11 kms from the summit to take the stage and ultimately the entire Giro.

Coppi on the Stelvio below. Rutted, gravel surface, when hard men ruled the cycling world, and where the word 'epic' was really borne:

post-22004-0-38817100-1369376236_thumb.jpg

As in "extraterrestrial"? It seems to go hand in hand with the Astana kit.....

Oi Christie, ..........I'll have you know I called Nibali's Mum yesterday and like any good self respecting Italian boy she told me she prepares all Nibali's pasta with good quality Italian produce, no Spanish imported meat in her dishes, promise.!

So I guess that settles it huh.? :lol: :lol:

One of my favourite images of the pass - looking down at the mid section of the pass, and up to the start of the 40 switchbacks which lead finally to the top....

Yeah, one of mine favourites too. I was hoping Scarpo could take some time today, but seems like the weather is just too bad.

The '56 Giro was one of the real all-time epics in the world of cycling, and still spoken of to this day.

1956 was the first Stelvio ascent from the Bormio side with Aurelio del Rio first over the top of the legendary pass in the middle of a snow storm was the hard-as-nails Charly Gaul, the “L’Angelo della Montagna”.

It was on the ascent to Monte Bondone that year, that Charly achieved legendary status.

"89 tragically underprepared riders set out, unaware of the arduous task before them. Gaul was relentless on the 3 successive climbs (the Costalunga, the Passo Rolle, and the Broncon) before the Monte Bondone finale, only to be brought back or suffer multiple punctures.

"Finally, after catching everyone on the road again, he began the 14km assault of the Bondone. It was here, on the slopes of this 5413′ mountain, where torrential rains that decimated the peloton throughout the day changed to snow. Eventually, high winds categorized the wintery event as a blizzard.

"Riders abandoned in droves as they froze to the bone tackling the stage’s finale. Those who continued only did so by momentarily seeking refuge from the weather or warming their extremities with hot water provided by the roadside fans.

"Charly himself, had to stop at a roadside trattoria for a cup of coffee. His team, frantic to find their rider in these incredibly dangerous conditions, finally caught up with him as he sipped in the bar. After warming his body with water and a massage, Gaul remounted his bike to take the stage a full 12 minutes ahead of the next rider.

"Of the 89 riders starting the 18th stage of the ’56 Giro d’Italia, only 43 finished. Some of those crossing the line that day did so in their teams cars, yet were allowed start the next stage. Charly Gaul was crowned Giro champion 2 days later."

Charly on the Monte Bondone that day:

post-22004-0-97661600-1369376793_thumb.jpg

post-22004-0-91205500-1369376835_thumb.jpg

Finally, right at the top of my cycling 'bucket list':

Every year all 3 sides are closed to cars for 8 hours: Stelvio Bike Day (normally around September 1st)...

post-22004-0-62401000-1369377339_thumb.jpg

The '56 Giro was one of the real all-time epics in the world of cycling, and still spoken of to this day.

1956 was the first Stelvio ascent from the Bormio side with Aurelio del Rio first over the top of the legendary pass in the middle of a snow storm was the hard-as-nails Charly Gaul, the “L’Angelo della Montagna”.

It was on the ascent to Monte Bondone that year, that Charly achieved legendary status.

"89 tragically underprepared riders set out, unaware of the arduous task before them. Gaul was relentless on the 3 successive climbs (the Costalunga, the Passo Rolle, and the Broncon) before the Monte Bondone finale, only to be brought back or suffer multiple punctures.

"Finally, after catching everyone on the road again, he began the 14km assault of the Bondone. It was here, on the slopes of this 5413′ mountain, where torrential rains that decimated the peloton throughout the day changed to snow. Eventually, high winds categorized the wintery event as a blizzard.

"Riders abandoned in droves as they froze to the bone tackling the stage’s finale. Those who continued only did so by momentarily seeking refuge from the weather or warming their extremities with hot water provided by the roadside fans.

"Charly himself, had to stop at a roadside trattoria for a cup of coffee. His team, frantic to find their rider in these incredibly dangerous conditions, finally caught up with him as he sipped in the bar. After warming his body with water and a massage, Gaul remounted his bike to take the stage a full 12 minutes ahead of the next rider.

"Of the 89 riders starting the 18th stage of the ’56 Giro d’Italia, only 43 finished. Some of those crossing the line that day did so in their teams cars, yet were allowed start the next stage. Charly Gaul was crowned Giro champion 2 days later."

Charly on the Monte Bondone that day:

This is absolutely nuts, and they did it without EPO and drugs... Respect!!!

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/GirodItalia_Tappa_16_0371.jpg