So whats your Groenkloof ostrich attack story...

meerkat

Don't you just hate it when an ostrich chase you... The bastard waited for me on the climb to onion hill... Does she not know it is bad etiquette to do this on a climb.

Last year I had to jump of the bike and hold it in the air.... good reason to go carbon :blush:

:lol:

We once rode late one Saturday afternoon. We followed an ostrich up the jeeptrack to th start of onion hill. The wife has a pic somewhere...

It wasn't an ostrich, but I got charged by a group of wildebeest on Friday morning at Groenkloof. Then on my second loop the same group got me again... I haven't pedaled that hard in a while.

Its not a groenkloof story. but still pretty good!

I was staying at a very small game reserve in KZN near stanger 2 years ago when this happened......

the idiotic landowners had stocked the place with over 30 ostrich. of which only 2 were female (apparently male ostriches look prettier)! it was breeding season, so needless to say the boy ostriches were very aggressive and frustrated.

one poor honeymoon couple were cycling along this road that went along halfway up a very steep hillside when they were attacked by the male ostrich. valiant husband ran away to a handy bush and his poor wife got attacked!

the ostrich kicked her viciously, breaking her leg and her arm and cutting her badly, she then curled up into a foetal position to protect herself whereupon the ostrich sat on her! Distraught husband, having finally got the balls to get out of the bush and go back to look for his wife could not find her anywhere so he went back to the lodge to mount a search team, assuming that she had also run away and was now lost in the bush. they searched for about 2 hours before anyone thought to look under the male ostrich!

I cant imagine what that was like for that poor woman....

Yip an agro ostrich is damn dangerous. Any tamed wild animal as well. I know of a guy who had a tamed steenbok. It pegged him in the groin with its horns. He bled out before his wife could get him to hospital.

My sister once tried to get away from an ostrich by running into a lake, not knowing that they love to swim. Was quite a funny chase to see!

I've only encountered very tame animals at Groenies. although those bokkies are a bit skittish, and wildebeests still seem a bit wild. But that's part of the pleasure of that place, being close to nature. Eyeballing a giraffe or Zebra. Oom, most of us are nature lovers FYI.

Although it must be said the best time to go there is during a rugby match, you have the place to yourself, in terms of homosapiens. However it seems there is somewhat of a spillage of loud drunk groups braaing from the Fountain side nowadaze, that make a hellav noise. I think they should ban drinking & music systems at Groenies.

I've only encountered very tame animals at Groenies. although those bokkies are a bit skittish, and wildebeests still seem a bit wild. But that's part of the pleasure of that place, being close to nature. Eyeballing a giraffe or Zebra. Oom, most of us are nature lovers FYI.

Although it must be said the best time to go there is during a rugby match, you have the place to yourself, in terms of homosapiens. However it seems there is somewhat of a spillage of loud drunk groups braaing from the Fountain side nowadaze, that make a hellav noise. I think they should ban drinking & music systems at Groenies.

best time to go is quick early ride before work, no music ,no noise just nature and one or two eager beever homosapiens

Always given ostriches a wide berth after an incident during our Std 5 Cape Tour, but a kudu once took off after my eldest son in a section of singletrack at Groenies.

Always given ostriches a wide berth after an incident during our Std 5 Cape Tour, but a kudu once took off after my eldest son in a section of singletrack at Groenies.

At Oudtshoorn?

Were you on the same Std 5 Cape Tour as I was? I remember an 'incident' at Oudtshoorn. Benoni West Primary...?

A buddy and myself were riding along the canal in richards bay 2 weeks ago when we saw a hippo not even 10meters from us then the plank pal of mine wants to pose for a picture needless to say heart rate goes into overdrive very quickly