Mankele 3 Towers

Terence Hope

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first stage race, and man what an experience!!! I had a huge mechanical right at the start on day 1 but after that it went pretty well.

Also stripped a cranset at the end of stage 2 but lucklily the Valencia mechanics had me sorted in no time.

I will definitely be back in 2013!!!

Yup, it was nice to meet all the hubbers at the event.

Big ups for Karma, waiting for my slow @ss on day one after a stint of serious dehydration! Day 2 was also tough for me due to all the cramping on day one. Luckily I had a great massage after day 2 and I had a much better day 3.

My highlight of the race? When I overheard one guy telling his partner to let me and Karma go first into the downhill single track, because "they descent like crazy people".

Edited by Mr SingleTrack

"decent like crazy people" is what I needed to do on day 1 just after going over "dog of a climb"

Could have done with just a touch more talent on that one! Ended up costing us 4 min and 2 portions of pride - got the scars to prove it! Still worth it!

Mr Singletrack - nice meeting up with you guys. let me know when you need some STF.

Edited by Vinnydabutcher

Aaaaargh post three towers blues setting in. Had an absolute blast, lots of beers and rode my bike like it's stolen. Highlights.... junior's bush tunnel on day 2, sudwala switchbacks and the last piece of single track on day3. Met ol mr singletrack and karma there. Also had a jol with jcza on day 2's first piece of awesomeness. But make no mistake you work for these. Every day had some sort of big climb...bultjies lekker bultjies.

Don't know about the " bultJies" big climbs for sure!!! last piece of single track really good fun, worth ever cent for this stage race for sure,

Anyone have any idea when final results will be published? What sort of times were you guys riding?

The results are up on the website www.mankele.co.za Events, 3 Towers, Results

Thanks again to all you true MTBers, it's what your bike was built for!

Can't wait to see the final video edit of you guys ripping up the single tracks, sweating up hills & puking at water points. As soon as we get the final product we'll send you a DVD in the post!

Later

Geoff

What a brilliant event, my 1st but won't be my last.

The trails are as everyone before me said, unbelievable, it's hard to imagine better. Juniors and Sappi bush tunnels were mind blowing and that new off camber single track tested your concentration skills. The Sudwala Cave Carnage st was an andrenaline rush of note. Monster climbs and The views, well, we're heavenly.

Other highlights was the size of he event, nice and small = very short queues for food etc. The food excellent and plentiful. The race briefings a good chuckle. Tons of giveaways incl 4 bikes. Great relaxed family vibe. Real fun finishing each day around the bmx track. Best value race around.

Only downside was one or two of the juniors who were racing the challenge who need to get their mouths washed out with some soap the way they behaved when stuck behind some race riders in singletrack.

Get an entry next year!

I know we were not the fastest but some of those challenge laaitjies were damm rude, and I saw lots of them just dumping there goo packets, we called a team back(because obviously they did not even try put the packets back in the shirts) and all we got back from them was &$$@ and go fark your @&$$:; yes they were much faster but hell 2 more sec to put the rubbish back in your pocket to insure the ride through the private property next year. Priceless and before you jump on us and say we did not move over , we were so far left they could not see us!!!

I know we were not the fastest but some of those challenge laaitjies were damm rude, and I saw lots of them just dumping there goo packets, we called a team back(because obviously they did not even try put the packets back in the shirts) and all we got back from them was &$$@ and go fark your @&$$:; yes they were much faster but hell 2 more sec to put the rubbish back in your pocket to insure the ride through the private property next year. Priceless and before you jump on us and say we did not move over , we were so far left they could not see us!!!

Awesome weekend and a great first multiday event!

Some of those little bumps that never seemed to end were well rewarded by good break-testing descents!

towing up some of those bumps definitely made the legs burn a little, especially Day 2! with the occasional "don't peddle so fast, i can't keep up" :blush:

Poor show of the people that did drop their rubbish on the ground! there was quite a lot!

and you could almost count on there being bottles lying on the floor at the end of some of those descents.

Big ups to the water tables :clap:

might have had one or two too many bar ones on the odd occasion... :whistling:

But what an awesome area to ride in!!!

Most definitely going back.

Results are up:

http://www.mankele.c..._CH_Results.pdf

"decent like crazy people" is what I needed to do on day 1 just after going over "dog of a climb"

Could have done with just a touch more talent on that one! Ended up costing us 4 min and 2 portions of pride - got the scars to prove it! Still worth it!

Mr Singletrack - nice meeting up with you guys. let me know when you need some STF.

thx Vinnydabutcher, was great to meet you too. Will give you a shout for some STF when I run out

Aaaaargh post three towers blues setting in. Had an absolute blast, lots of beers and rode my bike like it's stolen. Highlights.... junior's bush tunnel on day 2, sudwala switchbacks and the last piece of single track on day3. Met ol mr singletrack and karma there. Also had a jol with jcza on day 2's first piece of awesomeness. But make no mistake you work for these. Every day had some sort of big climb...bultjies lekker bultjies.

It is a pity we only met on the last day right before the finish. Man you missed out, day one we gooi-ed gangnam style on the car radio on full blast on day one just before we headed to the starting line! What a way to energize for those hills…

The results are up on the website www.mankele.co.za Events, 3 Towers, Results

Thanks again to all you true MTBers, it's what your bike was built for!

Can't wait to see the final video edit of you guys ripping up the single tracks, sweating up hills & puking at water points. As soon as we get the final product we'll send you a DVD in the post!

Later

Geoff

Thanks for everything Geoff!!! What an awesome awesome event!!!