Mugging & Attempted Mugging - Paarden Island bike lane (near N1)

Rydogg

That is a few incidents in that area for this year. I think some guys should get some people together setup up a sting!! catch the guys and dump them in the middle of the ocean

Why the ocean when a swimming pool would have the same result.. :whistling:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting Semisub, I think I passed you and you warned me of the guys 5 minutes before I met the other guy WHO ACTUALLY DID GET MUGGED.

They took his bike and bag!

I don't know why admin changed the topic to "Attempted Mugging". There was another guy who did actually get mugged.

Hi Rydogg,

There were two threads posted yesterday which appeared to be about the same incident which were merged.

Do you have any further details about the second incident (actual mugging)? A name or contact?

We should pass this info on to the City.

Why the ocean when a swimming pool would have the same result.. :whistling:

cause I didnt mean drown, if thats what you implying..... beside one can jump out of a pool, middle of the ocean involves days of torment......

I had an attempted mugging, about a month ago, by the section where the fence is broken.

The chap appeared drunk/confused, and I was trying to avoid hitting him, but at the last moment he jumped into my path and shoved me into the fence.

I travel with pepper spray attached to my backpack, and easily accessible. Unfortunately I still thought there was something wrong with the guy, and did not try use the spray.

I shoved him off me, and tried to cycle on. He shoved me into the fence again, and I managed to push back yet again, on the third shoving I had a lucky break -

a bus happened to be travelling along that section, who stopped and started hooting like mad at the guy. The guy stumbled around, and I spotted an opening and high tailed out of there. Only managing to wave my thanks to the bus driver about 50 meters away.

I now cycle with a taser, and the pepper spray. If any contact is made with me I will use it, and apologise later if it happens to be a genuine accident.

Hi Rydogg,

There were two threads posted yesterday which appeared to be about the same incident which were merged.

Do you have any further details about the second incident (actual mugging)? A name or contact?

We should pass this info on to the City.

It should be muggings.

The one I personally met the person who was mugged was a Canadian tourist, at this broken fence.

We took him to the next bus station, got the Metro to come pick him up and take his report/statement and to also notify the Canadian Embasy .... they have my details on record and I requested that they please let me know that when they collected him and contacted his embassy that the city please let me know.

There is thread where I have detailed this previously and will dig it up when I have a moment.

That fence should have been fixed ages ago as the City and MyCity knew long enough ago it was the major flash point and have just let the matter slide. Thank fully there have been no instances where a person has been hurt badly or worse.

I had an attempted mugging, about a month ago, by the section where the fence is broken.

The chap appeared drunk/confused, and I was trying to avoid hitting him, but at the last moment he jumped into my path and shoved me into the fence.

I travel with pepper spray attached to my backpack, and easily accessible. Unfortunately I still thought there was something wrong with the guy, and did not try use the spray.

I shoved him off me, and tried to cycle on. He shoved me into the fence again, and I managed to push back yet again, on the third shoving I had a lucky break -

a bus happened to be travelling along that section, who stopped and started hooting like mad at the guy. The guy stumbled around, and I spotted an opening and high tailed out of there. Only managing to wave my thanks to the bus driver about 50 meters away.

I now cycle with a taser, and the pepper spray. If any contact is made with me I will use it, and apologise later if it happens to be a genuine accident.

Please contact me as we might well be riding the same time as you.

Agreed! I think most of us are way to trusting or we ignore our instincts until it is too late.

The only pedestrians on this section should be people walking to or from work in Paarden Eiland. They normally walk purposefully. Anything else like "hanging around", "strolling', "sitting" "waiting for someone" should ring alarm bells.

It should be muggings.

The one I personally met the person who was mugged was a Canadian tourist, at this broken fence.

We took him to the next bus station, got the Metro to come pick him up and take his report/statement and to also notify the Canadian Embasy .... they have my details on record and I requested that they please let me know that when they collected him and contacted his embassy that the city please let me know.

There is thread where I have detailed this previously and will dig it up when I have a moment.

That fence should have been fixed ages ago as the City and MyCity knew long enough ago it was the major flash point and have just let the matter slide. Thank fully there have been no instances where a person has been hurt badly or worse.

You also forgot to mention that this guy was lucky you got away as you would have kicked his ass big time ...... and I am not joking to those who do not know the LoppedChiver lady

EDIT: Poor Grammar Ammended

Edited by Hairy

Hi guys. So sad we need to deal with problems like this. But you can get a direct stream pepper spray from dads toys at canal walk(next to game). It's called bullet spray and comes in different size cans, I started carrying one a while ago just in case for the baboons in Tokai. ( one day they are going to realize that most of us have food on us!) but now it seems I have a reason to carry it on my road bike too. What is this world coming to?

Sorry for the delay in posting the pics.

The product is called "SABRE RED"

Thanks for the pic, gonna get some pepper spray this weekend, my tazer is a bit too big to carry, I have to stick it in my jacket sleeve, but its gonna be a problem when its hot and i dont need to wear my long top, dunno where I'd have easy access to my tazer then. Maybe also wanna get one of those small tazers n strap it to my arm somehow.

Saw they fixed the fence on Saturday, very pleased about that!! Seems that all the emails to Helen Zille and Cape Talk helped lol :clap:

Jeez this wind is really getting to me now hey <_<

Yo Steff

Just accept the wind, In the morning it sucks and in the evening it is a blessing.

Cant you get something to fit it to your bike at all. Like those little feeding bags the Triathletes strap to there top tube?

Good to hear about the City of Cape Town doing something :thumbup:

My pepper spray attaches to the bike stem via a velcro gadget. I would like to have something like an i-pod pocket to carry it on my arm. That way, if I get separated from the bike, the pepper spray will be with me and I won't have to try and get it out of an awkward pocket on my back. Any examples or advice. Sorry for the (somewhat of a) hijack.

Yo Steff

Just accept the wind, In the morning it sucks and in the evening it is a blessing.

Cant you get something to fit it to your bike at all. Like those little feeding bags the Triathletes strap to there top tube?

Good to hear about the City of Cape Town doing something thumbup1.gif

My pepper spray attaches to the bike stem via a velcro gadget. I would like to have something like an i-pod pocket to carry it on my arm. That way, if I get separated from the bike, the pepper spray will be with me and I won't have to try and get it out of an awkward pocket on my back. Any examples or advice. Sorry for the (somewhat of a) hijack.

Hey Hairy, yeah Im just gonna have to get used to the wind I guess, no getting round that unfortunately :rolleyes:

As for my taser being attached to my bike, this thing is quite big lol its a bit heavy too.

Plus, I like having it on me incase, like DJR said, I get seperated from my bike at any time, I'll have it at hand and ZAP!! I'll taser the crap outta those mofos :w00t:

the velcro idea would be cool for the pepper spray but ja, better to have it on you as apposed to strapping it to your bike, no point otherwise, those muggers come outta nowhere sometimes...