Benefits of carbon stem

The Ouzo

Now you've gone and spoilt my fun. Lots of people ask me for alloy nipples and I give them brass with a straight face.

As you should, having complied with the request for an alloy

There is no way that a carbon tube 10cm or so long can have any benefit over an alloy tube of the same length. The only thing that a carbon tube does better than an alloy tube is to look good.

Ive seen a ti stem a mtb race the other day, on a ti bike. It also had ti bars and seatpost. I wont risk my front teeth on a ti stem, though. Ti welds are insanely difficult to get right, and a stem has a lot of weld material vs. base material.

Agree with all the comments that stem material makes absolutely no difference to ride feel. Carbon stems exist because customers are carbon crazy and are prepared to pay a lot for them.

Imo the stem is the wrong place to save 20 grams. Alu with 4 steel bolts is the way to go.

Edited by Christie

The PROs are my reference, often, as they ride lots and lots hard. :-)

They roll with aluminium.

They, mostly, roll with aluminium because of its reliability / strength.

They, mostly, roll with aluminium because of its reliability / strength.

The TdeF bikes i have seen and ridden all have seriously industrial cockpits - for strength and reliability but also, according to one DS, as the most sensible way to get the bike weight up to 6.8 kg.