Handle-Bar Tape ???

DRIVETRAIN

smileys/smiley4.gif

Changed my tape the other day.....felt like the new tape is slightly "thinner" than what was on there....does anyone ride with a double layer of tape & for which reasons??? Also I'm thinking of putting on a second layer because of my hands---the work I do after hrs results in my knuckles & joints hurting quite a bit and holding onto the handle bars for long hrs does not make it any easier...

I'm hoping for better comfort here !!! Will there be any negative impacts if I put a second layer on ??

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif"

Ask SP, she was riding with extra tape. I think the reasons included more cushioning after the wrist op?

yep michH, that was the reason i went that route. i must say it's much more comfy. it does add a bit of weight to the bike though... negligible for most of us, but seeing as DT weighs next-to-nothing he might notice it! smileys/smiley2.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

smileys/smiley4.gif

I do re-call that one MichH..............actually U reminded me of it because we rode together after her Op when she had the double layer on...seemed comfy..will P/M her...........

'DTsmileys/smiley4.gif"

smileys/smiley4.gif

Ok..no reason  to P/M SP.............U really think it add's weight ??? seems so a miniscule addition to add weight....I'll consider it nevertheless......Well there is a plus on my weight issue....suppose one cancels the other out..smileys/smiley4.gif

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif"

Also got double layer on, comfort reasons purely. Completely cancelled the "numb fingers" feeling out.

smileys/smiley4.gif

Looks like it's the way to go.........will do itsmileys/smiley4.gif

"DTsmileys/smiley4.gif"

I think the Specialized one you can only buy with the tape and everything (quite expensive as I recall). However I saw at Cajees (can't remember if it was Fourways or Eastgate) that RavX sell just the gel pieces separately for you to put under your existing tape.

I use the Specialized one and it did make a difference!

the specialized and ravx options are more expensive - double tape is muuuuuch cheaper and does the trick perfectly.

The Specisialized option however lasts a hell of a long time.  Know of guys that has the stuff on their h/bars for about 18 months now.

ewep, double handlebar tape also last a long time - as long as the handlebar tape would normally last (so don't ask me - i have a tendancy to damage my bar tape smileys/smiley9.gif)

After I sprained my wrists last year when I was knocked over, I padded the bar nicely.  I have found it comfortable so far and haven't removed the tape in over a year.  The setup I have is Fizik Bar:Gel inserts, Cinelli cork tape, then the Fizik bar tape on top.  I imagine that this setup is only a problem if you have small hands.

I can vouch for the Specialized gel inserts as well as their gel tape, definitely lasts longer than anything else I tried. Another item that is worth considering is their pro gloves. The gel pads feel a little wierd at first but after time they wear to your riding position and provide a lot of comfort. Sir Fed38940.4464699074