Satellite Classic - Rider helivac'd from accident scene

Chopper Jr

Does anyone know how the guy that needed an emergency helicopter evacuation is doing?

My prayers go out to his family and friends and for his recovery.

It's crazy how bad some of these accidents can be. I wonder if his helmet was strapped on properly or whether his helmet just wasn't sufficiently effective.

I stayed at the finish waiting for my friend who was held up.

The organisers did announce that he was in hospital but was intubated and badly injured,they said to hope to have an update in 30 minutes but did not hear anything else.

I really hope he is ok it hits home to think you can go out to enjoy a ride and end up in Hospital.

Hi all

I am new to cycling and the forum.

The Bestmed Satelite Classic was my first race. I did the 40 km. I am crazy about cycling but the accident on Saturday scared me a bit. I loved the route but I really feel as if more could be done in terms of safety. At one point, I had to stop to avoid being rammed off the road by a truck. Is this just part of the sport or could more be done safety wise?

My thoughts go out to the cyclist who fell and his family. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Hi all

The Bestmed Satelite Classic was my first race. I did the 40 km. I am crazy about cycling but the accident on Saturday scared me a bit. I loved the route but I really feel as if more could be done in terms of safety. At one point, I had to stop to avoid being rammed off the road by a truck. Is this just part of the sport or could more be done safety wise?

My thoughts go out to the cyclist who fell and his family. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Where did this happen? It is not part of the sport, especially if you were on the correct (left hand side) of the road.

Look at the other Satellite Classic thread - seems like there were not enough motorbike marshalls...

not the first time we have had a bad crash at this race , 2 years back a guy had a head on with a car .................

Wish him a speedy recovery

Hi all

Crashes are part of racing.

Most crashes happen because of error in judgement.

mellow.png

Crashes are part of racing.

Most crashes happen because of error in judgement.

mellow.png

Scary stuff. I am scared of downhills as it is. People pushing their bikes on the uphills were flying passed me on the downhills! very embarrassing. I could have had a much better finishing time if I just let the bike go on the downhills. Is there a forum for safety and road ettiquette for cyclists?

Hope the dude is okay.

Sounds like it happened 17km from the finish. We suspect it's that long downhill on the tracking station road just before the last drag up to the T-junction.

We clocked 70+km/h there without much effort.

We had to outsprint a big truck transporting cement up Hekpoort. Poor driver didn't know if he should pull over or carry on.

Edited by Fester

The marshaling was not great. The start/finish area was a disaster with cyclists, pedestrians and vehicles moving in both directions... and trying to leave that parking lot!

I'm sure they could plan everything a lot better.

The rider suffered broken ribs, collarbone, facial fracture and head trauma. Last I heard we was still in a coma.

Thoughts and prayers go out to him and the family.

Scary stuff. I am scared of downhills as it is. People pushing their bikes on the uphills were flying passed me on the downhills! very embarrassing. I could have had a much better finishing time if I just let the bike go on the downhills. Is there a forum for safety and road ettiquette for cyclists?

No forum I know of.

But there's loads of written and unwritten rules.

Some of the quirkier type, albeit very useful.

www.velominati.com

The rider suffered broken ribs, collarbone, facial fracture and head trauma. Last I heard we was still in a coma.

Thoughts and prayers go out to him and the family.

Hmmm...

All the best, rider and loved ones.