Silicone spray or WD 40 ?

Slowbee

Having done a bit of reading through google, silicone spray seems to be a lubricant, needs to be applied regularly, but does cause "pitting". The RC guys seem to think this is great stuff. It doesnt gather dirt as easily and lasts longer.

WD 40 (the good old spray type), although primarliy used for water displacement (wd) to get water out, is also used as a lubricant and stop squeaks and things.

Now the question is the one bike shop said they use silicone spray on suspension links etc to keep things lubricated - the other says WD 40. Which is correct? If silicone causes pitting should you use it at all ? And then when do you use WD 40? if it gathers dirt, surely you would not want to use it ?

Or does it not matter what lubricant you use to stop squeaks on your bike ?

Good question. I have been using some silicone spray on my fork stanchions to clean them. Never heard that it could cause pitting, so I'm interested to hear what the experts say. For other stuff I sometimes use a teflon spray called wynflon.

I can't remember off hand now, but I think one of them can react badly with certain rubber compounds... I think it is quite rare though, but probably worth checking out.

The silicone spray....not good for your pads. I cover my calipers when using it as it can seriously affect your stopping power.

My father swears by Silicone spray... I must say I am gettin gused to the stuff, and it does have slightly different properties to WD40 & Q20. But anyway - I reckon the dust-repellant properties of the Silicone Spray make it the better option.

cut cut cut cut

- I reckon the dust-repellant properties of the Silicone Spray make it the better option.

It repels dust you say? How?

Have experienced WD40 extensively in my trade and tbh found it to be useless for lubricating purposes, not bad as a penetrant to loosen up things that are stuck or slightly seized or even as a degreaser....reminds me a bit of parrafin

Any lube type spray is a NO NO for suspension parts.

This "lube" WILL collect more dust and contaminate your dust seals quicker.

Therefore, DUST SEALS are lubed from the inside with a low-viscosity oil / liquid, for the stanhcions to be "lubed" (reduce friction) while in use.

Using ANY external lube will shorten the life of your dust seals and increase maintenance schedules.

Happy Hoopin

Edited by NINER_boy

Any lube type spray is a NO NO for suspension parts.

This "lube" WILL collect more dust and contaminate your dust seals quicker.

Therefore, DUST SEALS are lubed from the inside with a low-viscosity oil / liquid, for the stanhcions to be "lubed" (reduce friction) while in use.

Using ANY external lube will shorten the life of your dust seals and increase maintenance schedules.

Happy Hoopin

So what do you do for a squeeking suspension point? Strip it down and just clean?

So what do you do for a squeeking suspension point? Strip it down and just clean?

Having never had a squeeking suspension point yet.... ok so i dont wash my bike to often....

I would say dont forget to to lubricate it with grease or oil after the "Strip it down and just clean" part.

Edited by SwissVan

Mojoman

Be careful, suspension is a funny thing. You might think a sound comes from suspension parts, but the origin might be somewhere completely diferent.

First, make 100% sure it is from the linkage.

Then strip down, clean and grease the contact points LIGHTLY with a high grade grease (like Parktool poly lube), and reassemble.

Remember to torque to spec and check that all the spacers / washers are right side assembled and clean.

If you then still have a noisy bike, look for the noise elsewhere OR take to a bike service professional, because the problem might then be bigger or something else altogether.

Good luck

Edited by NINER_boy

Where does 1 get silicone spray? Or you just look for a silicone based lube/spray at the hardware store? Any recommended places to purchase?

Cos it's suppose to be used on zips, them laces for the BOA system so i'd be interested in trying some, been doing the WD40 trick & it seems to work.