Triathlon Watch

Garfield2010

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Garf

Don't only look at a watch to monitor your HR while training.

The Suunto's T4/6 and the Garmin 910XT use the FirstBeat engine which measures Training Effect and EPOC. This is an amazing tool at measuring the correct training load in your program and the appropriate recovery. This sets them streets ahead of any Polar or Bryton. It will take some reading to understand but your it will help you train more effectively.

To read more about FirstBeat go to www.firstbeat.fi

Also check out this link for a review of the 910XT

This guy covers just about everything you need to know. The size of the watch seems reasonable with a 20 hour battery life.

I use a 310xt,

If you doing IM, battery life is key and at 20 hrs with GPS on, its definitely a good choice.

Its accurate + the garmin online software is awesome.

it is bulky, I do all my races with the watch in my swim cap. I get an accurate reading for my wayward swims + any watch is in the way when you having a tussle with your salty wetsuit in transition.

This year at IM my swim totalled 4.8km, due to sh*t conditions, chatted to at least 5 other guys afterwards and they were all around 5kms for the swim, the point been, they also had watches stuffed in their swim caps too !

They also have a nice quick release kit you can buy, making switching from swim/bike/run easier..

910xt obviously an upgrade, but there are some good deals on the 310xt

( I bought my watch from "Shop & Ship", the offices are in Rivonia)

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/31134949/Garmin_Forerunner_310XT_With_Premium_HRM.html

my 2c..

I agree with the 310xt! I use it for duathlons and love the multisport option to include transitions. Also used it for Cape pioneer trek and it lasted 4 days without charging. Also ant+ makes merging with speed sensors and power meters a breeze. I would any day go with the 910 being an upgrade and less bulky.

Another feature of the harming I enjoyed was the lap vibration notifier , so every km it will vibrate or according to time or other distances. I had it setup for doing intervals an km repeats

Ok I am going with the 910XT.

Just one question. If it does already have GPS and all that then why is a footpod optional? What does it do?

I also have the Garmin 910xt. I was very worried about the size as I have very thin wrists but it has not been an issue at all. It is also very light weight.

Ok I am going with the 910XT.

Just one question. If it does already have GPS and all that then why is a footpod optional? What does it do?

The foot pod is for use when running indoors on the treadmill

Garfield, I got my 910xt from CRC. Landed price after VAT & the 10% was R4.2k which is substantially cheaper than any local retailer.

The foot pod is for use when running indoors on the treadmill

But normally a treadmill does have a speed indicater?

Thug thanks. Will probably go that route.

But normally a treadmill does have a speed indicater?

Thug thanks. Will probably go that route.

The Garmin can't record the speed indicator on the treadmill

Cool so I got the watch (910xt) and it is awesome.

Just one question............ since the Garf is a rough rider......... do they sell a cover accessory that can protect it? I am afraid it might scratch upon contact with DaveM's eyeball....................

• 3 weeks later...

To the 910xt owners out there. When you use the courses feature can it display your location on an elevation profile like this screen from the Edge 500?

sc-04-lg.jpg

I use the RCX5 and am very happy with it. It has some limitations, but on the whole it's great. Polar claim that it's the only HR monitor that will pick up a signal under water. Whilst I haven't tried others, it works well under the water during swims etc.

I use the GPS3 GPS unit which is a bit bulky, so get the newer one and you should be fine.

J