SS are fast.....

MuddyMike

i think its the simple fact that usually on hills us Humans take it easy...and push on the downs, where as riding the SS you do it other way round, push on the hills as you have no choice but to... and relax the downhills...

and to get to that efficient cadence.. you need to really push it on the hills..

and when you ride with friends on geared bike... and end up getting to relax at the top of the hill waiting for them.. i find that the best bit..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does your effort compare...?

Surely a geared bike allows you to ride at a cadence where you get optimal power output at virtually any speed, so although I get all the benefits of a SS, it doesn't make sense that it makes you go faster, unless you generally don't push very hard on your normal bike.

I would like you honest opinion on this, as I've said SS's are cool, but I don't think anybody considers them to be faster, otherwise we'd see the pro's riding them

Red ones are definately faster, so stick to them!

I found i was going to an easier gear just because i had them. Rode the SS for a month and now i see no reason for the granny on the other bike, just like i used to ride before i got lazy

so how does that affect the selection of the fastest bike?

They have a lot more motivation to suffer up a hill and will choose one that will get them up quickest, whilst the average Joe will revert to an easier one if the motivation isn't there.

I found i was going to an easier gear just because i had them. Rode the SS for a month and now i see no reason for the granny on the other bike, just like i used to ride before i got lazy

Well commit and remove the granny...run 2x9, I dare you

They have a lot more motivation to suffer up a hill and will choose one that will get them up quickest, whilst the average Joe will revert to an easier one if the motivation isn't there.

so its only faster if you tend to f&^k around while riding your normal bike

Well commit and remove the granny...run 2x9, I dare you

Did that once on the training bike. Was great training but now the training bike went one step further. Got a new paint job, Stickers and only one gear. Sorted.

It is a small combination of a few things, besides the rider being more motivated on a bright new (red?) bike:

SS is usually lighter without all the gears and bits and pieces. Lighter equals faster.

SS makes you work harder on the hills - you stand more. More effort equals faster.

26 inch wheels are a bit easier to climb with for the same gear ratio. Easier equals faster.

The SS is rigid compared to the FS 29er. More efficient power transfer equals faster.

SS is just the best bike for commuting. :thumbup:

Did that once on the training bike. Was great training but now the training bike went one step further. Got a new paint job, Stickers and only one gear. Sorted.

I want a new paint job...dunno what colour though.

so its only faster if you tend to f&^k around while riding your normal bike

SS is just far more efficient. Try it you might like it.

SS is just far more efficient. Try it you might like it.

And they make you more efficient, you actually have to think about lines

I want a new paint job...dunno what colour though.

I am considering asking the GF if i can have her gary fisher frame and paint a new SS bike. Not like she needs it she will make the trek into an SS as soon as she finishes the intense spider build very soon.

I am considering asking the GF if i can have her gary fisher frame and paint a new SS bike. Not like she needs it she will make the trek into an SS as soon as she finishes the intense spider build very soon.

Do you have a contact ito frame stripping and painting....thinking yellow like in lumo

Guy on the hub the other day used some paint stripper called removeall. Paint on leave 12 hrs spray off. Looked like it worked like a bomb and did his fork as well. Thats what got me keen to respary as the paint stripping was a pain last time