SS are fast.....

MuddyMike

Today I commuted to work on my new SS for the first time. It was interesting. The route is 18km and it includes a climb of 300m ascent over a 6km stretch, the rest is pretty flat. I am running a 32:16 on a 26er. Now the interesting part is that the commute took me 56 minutes where as my usual commute on my 29er FS 3x10 takes me 60 minutes at a hard effort and around 65 minutes normally. Now does this mean that when it comes to the climb we chicken out to early and move to lower gear too soon? Dropping between 4 and 9 minutes over an hour ride is significant.

Edited by MuddyMike

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its amazing what the muscles can do when faced with 1 gear. Its either ride, stand or push.

Good job!

Or in other words, you have to stand ride and push hard... or walk...

I think in general when faced with an easier option humans take it...

Edited by RexFuzzle

We like a gang bro .........devil.gif

remember the nabour hood bmx gang as a kid .

Well this is the adult version .........w00t.gif

Now I fully understand why I'm building one too thumbup1.gif

Today I commuted to work on my new SS for the first time. It was interesting. The route is 18km and it includes a climb of 300m ascent over a 6km stretch, the rest is pretty flat. I am running a 32:16 on a 26er. Now the interesting part is that the commute took me 56 minutes where as my usual commute on my 29er FS 3x10 takes me 60 minutes at a hard effort and around 65 minutes normally. Now does this mean that when it comes to the climb we chicken out to early and move to lower gear too soon? Dropping between 4 and 9 minutes over an hour ride is significant.

How does your effort compare...?

Surely a geared bike allows you to ride at a cadence where you get optimal power output at virtually any speed, so although I get all the benefits of a SS, it doesn't make sense that it makes you go faster, unless you generally don't push very hard on your normal bike.

I would like you honest opinion on this, as I've said SS's are cool, but I don't think anybody considers them to be faster, otherwise we'd see the pro's riding them

How does your effort compare...?

Surely a geared bike allows you to ride at a cadence where you get optimal power output at virtually any speed, so although I get all the benefits of a SS, it doesn't make sense that it makes you go faster, unless you generally don't push very hard on your normal bike.

I would like you honest opinion on this, as I've said SS's are cool, but I don't think anybody considers them to be faster, otherwise we'd see the pro's riding them

The pros get paid...

I can see I am soon going to have to change my six million dollar man avatar back to Trompie.

I used to be the 2IC of a bicycle gang called the Gunston Boxies...on my Raleigh 7 speed racer, the gangleader had a Bomber! Uber cool mofo he was!

What kind of 29er FS are you riding? Might just be a bit of a donkey in comparison in terms of weight and efficiency.

I find my hardtail SS is 100x more efficient than my dually and there's no sitting back and spinning out a hill at a mellow pace...it's all or nothing when you get out the saddle.

What kind of 29er FS are you riding? Might just be a bit of a donkey in comparison in terms of weight and efficiency.

I find my hardtail SS is 100x more efficient than my dually and there's no sitting back and spinning out a hill at a mellow pace...it's all or nothing when you get out the saddle.

Just what he said above.

You also will find that on tough climbs it hurts less to go hard and then keep the momentum vs riding slower and grunting it up the hill.

This morning again I am in the position where I am considering selling the geared duallie as the SS is just so much fun.

edit: spelling

Edited by Hairy