Which side are your brakes?

G00SE

So normal bike setup is left for the front, and right for the rear.

Now I have ridden motor bikes for most of my life so I swapped mine around, but after a while I changed them back to normal, and actually prefer it this way.

Now, it would be interesting to know, what is your brake setup? Normal, or motorbike style?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Left back, Right front. is how normal cyclists ride. I once read somewhere that in the USA all bicycles are setup with left front and right rear by law and it's an offence to ride them opposite way round. dunno how true that is.

I thought right back left front is the proper way?

I have always ridden moto style.

Edited by wheelerdealer

Left:front, right:rear

Also think which is your dominent, stronger hand, I'd say use this for the rear, rather a hand full quick for the rear than a hand full to quick on the front,

My gears are also the same, left:FD, right:RD.

G

So normal bike setup is left for the front, and right for the rear.

Now I have ridden motor bikes for most of my life so I swapped mine around, but after a while I changed them back to normal, and actually prefer it this way.

Now, it would be interesting to know, what is your brake setup? Normal, or motorbike style?

Edited by awesme

There is no right or wrong way.

Same as there is no right or wrong foot forward when coasting.

It is all down to personal preference.

My brake callipers are on the LHS of the wheel, and my brake levers are to the front of my handle bar... not sure which hand does which wheel, but it is the other way round that a motorbike (for the front wheel)

My brake callipers are on the LHS of the wheel, and my brake levers are to the front of my handle bar... not sure which hand does which wheel, but it is the other way round that a motorbike (for the front wheel)

lies! LIES!!

I've ridden with you when you had your rear brake lever was facing backwards! :lol:

There is no right or wrong way.

It is all down to personal preference.

I agree. I just found it strange that being used to riding motorbikes, I would be more comfortable with my MTB setup the opposite - always interesting to hear other peoples opinions.

Now thats a whole other discussion smile.png

I have my left foot foward

Edited by goose1111

Both road and MTB have RHS front and LHS rear. Just got a Tri bike, which is opposite and still deciding whether to change it the same as the others.

Had mine changed to motorcycle style, my old hardtail(cable brakes) was this way. I think the reason for left front right rear is so the shifters and brakes match for the same side.

lies! LIES!!

I've ridden with you when you had your rear brake lever was facing backwards! laugh.png

hahaha true that. but that was a once in a lifetime special occurrence! You should count yourself amongst the honoured few to have witnessed that spectacle!

motorbike style....not sure if being lefthanded has something to do with it...just always had it that way and never ridden motorbikes

As mentioned there is no right or wrong way. Only preference. Mine is to have my dominant, more sensitive hand controlling the front brake.