Comment about organisation of 94.7 MTB Race

awesme

Hi all

So on Sunday my Wife (very pregnant) and father in law (just in case the little bundle decided to arrive while I was riding) came along.

We came very early, or well more than early enough, with the idea to park, walk to the start/finish, get nice seating so that the wife could to see my go off, and then cross the finish line.

Firstly, the parking area to start area, really, could they have made it further, try doing that with a pregnant wife, bike, chairs etc etc, luckily that was a one way walk.

Sadly it seems this family component/considerations was not catered for at all for by Highveld.

second gripe... collected race pack on Thursday, was then told the sweat shirt could be collected on Sunday before or after the race, well nothing before and no indication at start/finish after where to collect, have spoken to race admin, will collect Thursday onwards at Sandton convention centre.

G

Sadly it seems that this and the road ride are designed to cater for the riders and those few (hopefully it seems) supporters that are prepared to rough it a bit. Last year was much better organised with far better public seating and entertainment etc.

The race itself seemed pretty well done, they just seem for some reason to be battling with the pre and post race requirements for both spectators and riders.

Having said that, I suppose I'll be back next year. I guess you'll be carrying junior on a tandem next year clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

Edited by Jigghead

Hi there

Same comment my wife said, last year was allot better. Ye the pre and post arrangements, thinking about riders and support people/family movement i seems was not really addressed at all.

Race was well done, except for the 55km signage removal... ;)

Jnr is a little girl, but ye she will be happily on a bike, as soon as she wants to be.

G

Sadly it seems that this and the road ride are designed to cater for the riders and those few (hopefully it seems) supporters that are prepared to rough it a bit. Last year was much better organised with far better public seating and entertainment etc.

The race itself seemed pretty well done, they just seem for some reason to be battling with the pre and post race requirements for both spectators and riders.

Having said that, I suppose I'll be back next year. I guess you'll be carrying junior on a tandem next year clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

I did the MTB race last year and wasnt impressed. So I can just imagine how bad it must have been this year if you guys say it was worse. Now I did the Argus MTB race in March and man the guys from the Cape can teach the organisers of the 94.7 MTB and kiddies race for that matter a thing or 10! You honestly just cant even compare how much better the Argus "sub" events are.

In my opinion Waterfall estates is a great venue, but both these races have gotten to big to be hosted there. Or they just choose to not utilise more space.

It was a great race, enjoyed the race component of it, but really hope Highveld race admin can take this as some constructive criticism.

they need to look, think more about the family, this is a social/fun ride/race, and as such the family needs to be catered for, allot better than it is currently.

I've heard Saturday was a bit of a problem...

G

As said, the race itself, perfect for the intention.

it's the arrangement around the race, the catering for family which leaves a bit to be desired.

G

Perhaps it is still a relatively new complex, but I have never been impressed by the Start/Finish venue. Its one race my wife does not even think of going with. Certainly nothing for spectators/supporters to do. I only do the 94.7 because it is an Argus seeding race, otherwise I would not bother. 2 years ago I parked on the Allandale side - terrible! Wore out a set of cleats just trying to get to the start! Last year I parked on the Megawatt park side - much better. Booked & paid for parking this year - hope it works out!

Every year there is people moaning about this event - no surprise, its very 'mainstream' and given that its dovetailed with the road event, so going to be busy, and organisation overburdened.

Try one of the many other mtb events happening in GP for a more pleasurable experience, although perhaps further afield.

last year we had xxxxxx bottlenecks, watered-down powerade, limited water (and hot)

wasn't a good race last year..

They made changes from last year, so they must be getting messages and trying to improve, so firstly, I'm happy,

Just saying, what they did might have helped in some other criteria they had to improve, but it did not help in the family spectator criteria.

G

Perhaps it is still a relatively new complex, but I have never been impressed by the Start/Finish venue. Its one race my wife does not even think of going with. Certainly nothing for spectators/supporters to do. I only do the 94.7 because it is an Argus seeding race, otherwise I would not bother. 2 years ago I parked on the Allandale side - terrible! Wore out a set of cleats just trying to get to the start! Last year I parked on the Megawatt park side - much better. Booked & paid for parking this year - hope it works out!

I Rode 2011 and 2012

2011:

Start was not ideal - going through cars, over roads etc,

Parking did not seem to be adequate

Route was reasonable but markings at certain points very lacking

Bottlenecks were a problem

2012:

Start was perfect - roads for 1km then we hit the dirt

Parking on Polo fields worked well

Route seemed better and marking better - but could have been better in last 20km of 55km at certain points

Bottlenecks were apparently better - I have none, but did get back while people were still walking over the fly-over bridge!

The Powersol this year was great

Could have had more seating by the finish maybe