Holla trails

Helpmytrap

Can't say the same for the routes I have done there...also heard the shongweni area isn't the safest and will be a drive from where we stay, and what's with the no riding before 6:30 and no riding abreast(that alone tells me its dirt roadie heaven). Holla ftw.

Have to agree with Rouxtjie here... I've ridden some great single track at Holla. And at Giba too. Holla might be slightly less popular though and so no hold ups on the course. And it's closer to where Rouxtjie is staying... Holla makes sense.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say the same for the routes I have done there...also heard the shongweni area isn't the safest and will be a drive from where we stay, and what's with the no riding before 6:30 and no riding abreast(that alone tells me its dirt roadie heaven). Holla ftw.

PM'd

Hey Guys

Nic here from Holla. I am writing this while wearing my snorkel and handing out hammers and nails. We not sure how many bridges are not washed away but any left were very lonely on Wednesday.

The crew is out there working overtime trying to get everything back as fast as possible. We started on red and will move onto the maroon/black bridge over the Umhlali as soon as it is low enough to do so.Yellow will be tackled after that.

Just had an update from Ben and he hopes Red should be completed by end of today (Thurs 13/12).

Luckily the trails themselves dry out quickly thanks to our Umgeni sand referred to above so its just dodging puddles and wading the odd swollen stream. Roadies wont be happy here cause you wont come back clean but true mtb'ers should leave with at worst a small smile (we hope).

I suggest avoiding yellow (unless you are really adventurous) until the weekend cause the Umhlali is a big river and takes longer to go down. It will be a swim not a wade. Check for updates on our facebook site.

Thanks to the guys telling everyone that we are the best place to ride (they are right by the way whistling.gif ). Fact is we are totally spoilt for choice in this awesome province. Choose what kind of riding you like and hit it. Another tip is if you find a trail you like, ride it more than once or twice- once you know the layout, you can hit it harder and faster.

I'm finally riding Virginia trails this weekend after hearing so much about it. Giba is an excellent ride and Karkloof and Howick are the bomb.

If you from JHB, best thing you can do is chuck it in and imigrate. KZN has the best and is only getting better and better!

Suck the marrow boys!

Edited by NicJ

Here's a Google Earth image of one of my routes down from the Noodsberg at about 1,000m altitude into the upper Tongaat river valley. This is about 2/3 of the way down, where you drop off the edge of a ridge and descend for about 10km, losing about 700 vertical metres, all singletrack, and probably never ridden by a mountain biker except me.

There's hundreds of km of this stuff, all waiting to be discovered. Without my Garmin I'd just disappear into these valleys and get lost in the spiderwebs of tracks and roads. Cycling nirvana, no doubt.

Tomjee: respect dude. I rode those valleys when training for epic and they can challenge an epic day easily. Tough hilly riding and by now you've obviously noticed that Google earth does not give enough warning about the size of those hills. A great day out!

SS packed ! see you guys down there from the 23rd . cant wait .

Nice. You going to join rouxtjie and try make a trip up to the Midlands to try Howick/ Karkloof?

Nice. You going to join rouxtjie and try make a trip up to the Midlands to try Howick/ Karkloof?

will keep in touch sounds like lots of fun .

Rode Holla blue today... otherroutes were still being restored. Another very good trail... starts out a bit slow and a tough little climb in the first 4km, but atfer that a big jol (especially with some mud and loose sand - made it challenging)

Big up to ben for his route advice and after ride chat...

Sunday is Red or Purple... cant wait!

Rode Holla blue today... otherroutes were still being restored. Another very good trail... starts out a bit slow and a tough little climb in the first 4km, but atfer that a big jol (especially with some mud and loose sand - made it challenging)

Big up to ben for his route advice and after ride chat...

Sunday is Red or Purple... cant wait!

Do red, you will thank me later...what a jol

Do red, you will thank me later...what a jol

Did red on Sunday, very cool! Did maroon last year, keen to try all of them though ,except black ( that's for the big boys).

Did red on Sunday, very cool! Did maroon last year, keen to try all of them though ,except black ( that's for the big boys).

So what's your 'doable' distance at the moment?

I'm picking up my hub bits tomorrow morning so should be able to ride mtb from Sunday. There are ways to get onto some of the good bits on the back of black, but I'd need to know what your comfy distance is at the moment.

Hey Guys

Nic here from Holla... (snip snip) ...

Nic, thanks again for all the incredible work you guys put into keeping the trails open. Much appreciated clap.gif