Is this a crack?

TooManyMatts

I've attached a pic of a frame like it and pics of the supposed crack. Its a 2007 specialized sworks epic carbon. Looks like its on an aluminium part of the frame judging by the pics. I think it might very well be a paint crack. I'm thinking that I should just sand off the paint around the crack to see if its stuffed.

post-4023-0-28098200-1352838582_thumb.jpg

post-4023-0-00332200-1352838594_thumb.jpg

post-4023-0-24071600-1352838685_thumb.jpg

hmm looks suspect and at a point of stress - NDT methods used in aviation will give you a definitive answer.

Don't Spez have a life time frame warranty?

hmm looks suspect and at a point of stress - NDT methods used in aviation will give you a definitive answer.

Don't Spez have a life time frame warranty?

I don't know anyone in aviation... How do you go about getting an x-ray? Is x-ray even possible if I'm right about this being an alu section of the frame?

I don't think the warranty applies once it is sold on.

Edited by matmum

I think the easyest place to get a frame X-Rayed would be at a vet.

Would also suggest you get it X-Rayed instead of sanding the paint off.

I think the easyest place to get a frame X-Rayed would be at a vet.

Would also suggest you get it X-Rayed instead of sanding the paint off.

Just remember to put your frame on a leash when you take it in. Bwahahahaha

I don't know anyone in aviation... How do you go about getting an x-ray? Is x-ray even possible if I'm right about this being an alu section of the frame?

Try SAINT for a pointer

Yes, think its a crack, had the same on my swingarm on my GF Hi-Fi Pro about 8 months ago. when there were no force on said part the crack looked exactly like yours...hairline but it opened up whilst moving. Get it sorted

Yes, it does appear to be a crack. That is a high stress area. Take it to a Spez bike shop .

Wonder why it took so long for someone to state the obvious.. Take it in and find out.

Wonder why it took so long for someone to state the obvious.. Take it in and find out.

+1. And it's on the carbon bit. The alu bit is the swingarm, and the swingarm only. That little bit of metal that you see pointing out is an alu insert for the BB shell.

aw man, if it looks like a crack, or looks like that crack, it should be seen to! I am with mayhem, that is an insert for the BB, the what looks like paint around is carbon.

If what looks like paint around that shell is carbon it would have to be one layer of very thin fiber. If that lug is alu, then I'm sure I can get the hairline crack welded. If its carbon is there any way to get something like that fixed?

I don't think the warranty applies once it is sold on.

If memory serves the CPA states that a warranty follows the product and not the owner. Problem is I do not think the Act is retrospective but worth checking out.

Never understood how bike manufacturers could get away with that cr@p ie a warranty only applies to original owner - load of bollocks which the legislation has sorted out (for once).