Racing ralp or Maxi Icon tyres?

tunariaan

Gents i can make up my mind about these 2 tyre brands for a 29 er

Is the ralp a better rolling tyre than the maxi and is it as strong?

Also trying to keep the weight of the bike as low as possible

It will be used on a hard tail and at a competitive level

Thanks for your advice

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for racing ralphs and come back and tell us how far you were able to get into the race before getting a snake bite on the ralph's. RR are crap, light yes, but crap!

i had that problems with the rocket rons but i had mates doing the epic and pioneer and they were happy with the RR

no need to be snotty about it

As long as the Schwable's are Snakeskin, you'll be fine. Soon you will be able to get the Rocket Ron in snakeskin as well. My training partner has done about 6000km on his Racing Ralph EVO tyre (rear) and that includes an Epic, Sani2c, Lionman, Route 66 as well as some other races and training rides with no issues despite being the EVO and not snakeskin.

I had racing Ralphs on my bike and never had a days issue with punctures. I have recently put the Icon on the back and while I find it rolls better than the Schwable the grip in the wet and on loose dirt is shocking.

Go for racing ralphs and come back and tell us how far you were able to get into the race before getting a snake bite on the ralph's. RR are crap, light yes, but crap!

nonsense. have been RR for two years and never ever problems

im now trying a icon on the rear. its ok feels fast but it slips more on inclined gravel and on breaking. i dont think its as forgiving as RR.

i am running rocket rons upfront they are blerrie awesome.my all time rear rubber is geax akas but they dont last very long

I replaced my Conti tyres with Racing Ralphs. First ride I punctured. Second ride punctured. Thereafter I had sporadic punctures until I took the things off. For some or other reason the sealant (Stans) would not seal the holes. IMO Racing Ralphs are crap. My Conti tyres never gave me problems.

was this the snakeskin version? very weird about stans....are you sure it was a hole...maybe not a dud

tyre which did not seal on the rim?

+1 on roboluke suggestion...go both. Maxxis back...RR snakeskin front. You need something that lasts a bit longer than a RR at the back.

I had both recently, the RR SS is awesome, love the rolll, grip, and they are quite strong.

The only issue, soft rubber compound wears off faster.

Replaced it with an Icon, so far very happy (only done 55km) on it, grip and roll seems good, will get a better idea at VG tomorrow.

Edited by Karma

I have RR snakeskin on the front , and Icon on the back . Works well for me , and I am on my 2nd set . If they made a grippier version of the Icon , I would probably rather use them in the front , 'cause they seem to be a stronger tire than the RR's . But at the moment the RR's are a nice combination of grip , weight , volume and low rolling resistance for a front tire . The Icon's , in my opinion , are some of the best tire's you can put on your back wheel , but not enough grip for a front tire ( or maybe it's just my lack of technical skills ) .

was this the snakeskin version? very weird about stans....are you sure it was a hole...maybe not a dud

tyre which did not seal on the rim?

Oh ja and I had to replace one due to a side wall cut. Not my scene at all.

RR Evo front and rear and have not had a single problem with them. Rear is now due for replacement and for the amount of milage I've done on them I am very happy.

I specify Racing Ralph with Snakeskin on all my builds and find them to be reliable, light and grippy.

I have also swapped Icon's out for RR for plenty of racers but never the other way round, mainly when dry loose stuff is the order of the day.

Edit: c not k in icon

Edited by CarbonDual29er