Racing ralp or Maxi Icon tyres?

tunariaan

...lol, i must have the worst lines, 3 races , 3 flats with my rocket rons

then no more rocket rons, they just hanging in the garage, the dont like the karoo terain too much

after that i had 7 months racing the maxi icon with no flats but it does feel like a slow tyre to me

...lol, i must have the worst lines, 3 races , 3 flats with my rocket rons

then no more rocket rons, they just hanging in the garage, the dont like the karoo terain too much

after that i had 7 months racing the maxi icon with no flats but it does feel like a slow tyre to me

I read a pretty good review on the Spesialized captains, I think...

anyone agree?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I replaced my Conti tyres with Racing Ralphs. First ride I punctured. Second ride punctured. Thereafter I had sporadic punctures until I took the things off. For some or other reason the sealant (Stans) would not seal the holes. IMO Racing Ralphs are crap. My Conti tyres never gave me problems.

Snake skin with Slime Pro, nothing better IMO

And the big brother 2.4 Mountain King is ~800g!!! Quite heavy but bomb proof and you can have them on quite soft

try the GEAX Saguaro.....890g...lasts and lasts and lasts.......nukeproof.

I would just go with conti's race king/x-king combo, I live in paarl, same dusty dry conditions as george and I don't trust those schwalbe's. They wear out quickly and doesn't feel safe running low pressure.

Got race king protection 2.2 front and back now and I am very happy with them, haven't lost control (fell twice with the schwalbe's). And they haven't given me a days hassle with punctures or cuts.

ONLY at the expense of some added weight!!

But then, I myself can always loose 1kg??? Then all evens out again...?? ;))

Been riding mtbs

try the GEAX Saguaro Maxxis Ikon Exo...890g 580g...lasts and lasts and lasts.......nukeproof strong enough.

That`s better.

Been riding mtbs

That`s better.

That's good news, put one on rear on tuesday at everyones' advice, so hope this works out well.

thumbup1.gif

some gents love the spez but some time ago there was no stock in the most of SA

Seems like Spez SA doesnt really care about small things like these

Ok gents no more Racing Ralphs for the wife, we try and race and it's not always possible to take the best lines, so far the maxis hasnt let me down, but i need to look at the Spez and the Conti tyres aswell if i can find stock

Thanks for you help

For me there are only 3 choices:

- Maxxis Ikon Exo: Lasts long, good consistent grip, 30g lighter than Ralph Snakeskin

- Racing Ralph: Good grip, rolls very slightly faster than an Ikon, but wears out 3x quicker, Snakeskin 30g heavier that Ikon Exo

- Ritchey WCS Shield: Good grip but less volume, rolls as fast as a Ralph and wears out just as quick but 60g lighter

For a dually I like the Ikon front and Shield rear. The Shield (same with the Ralph) wears out quickly especially on the rear, but it helps that the Ikon on the front lasts so long, so only have to replace the rear regularly.

For my training wheels I`m going with Ikon front and rear cause these just last so long and is bullet proof. If I only had 1 wheelset I would probebly go with Ikon front and rear or stick to Ikon front and Shield rear.

I would not consider any other options. The Contis are heavy, the X-Mark has bad grip and super-heavy in UST, the Nobbly Nic rolls slow and is heavy, the Ron too thin sidewall.

ONLY at the expense of some added weight!!

But then, I myself can always loose 1kg??? Then all evens out again...?? wink.png)

Some info from a different aspect.

Only problem with that is that you're adding weight to a part of the bike that rotates at "high" velocity, this has a huge impact on the inertia of the tyre and thus it's agility at speed. I can't remember the formula but I'm sure it was something along the lines of every increase of 400g in a wheel (excluding hubs) equates to something like a kilo of weight at a certain speed.

I have got both those 2 tyres.

I run the Ikons for the more hard pack stuff and keep the RR's for the bigger races.

If you get the RR's, you will need to get the snakeskin compound.

Both good tyres.

Rocket Ron Snakeskin on the front, Racing Ralph snakeskin on the rear - I find the rocket ron better on the front - more predictable in semi loose sonditions - each to their own though.

Rocket Ron Snakeskin on the front, Racing Ralph snakeskin on the rear - I find the rocket ron better on the front - more predictable in semi loose sonditions - each to their own though.

where do you get

Rocket Ron Snakeskin
?

I also thought so wink.png but it wasn't so.

Keen to try Ikons but loving the RR