Rant: Bryton software

Christopher Brunsdon

deal...I want to have both units side by side for one ride...do exactly the same...see which ones picks up satellites first...accuracy of HR....speed and distance + upload into sporttracks, then create a course of workout and follow it. Maybe a loops around the block will do

Ok this is now getting complicated. You are going to try use it more than the GF has tested it. I think I should increase payment to 3/4 beer per km mellow.png Cool you can use your Garmin strap for the HR monitor. After we got the firmware to load correctly it my NEW gamin strap works like a bomb on the Bryton (note the GF took my new one. More comfortable she said #SIGH)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s all related to what satellites are available at any specific time of the day...

24 Satellites circumnavigate the globe twice daily, so you can imagine that they change all the time, today you might pick up no 3, 5 and 7 and so on and tomorrow a different batch of satellites.

Best practice is to just turn the device on a minute before the activity starts and ensure you have good satellite reception, a cold start is approx 25-45 seconds in clear sky conditions...then when you press go it should be 100%. This is best practice for all GPS enabled devices no matter the brand.

I think sometimes it depends on how full the device is. I know from my garmin it can take a while to pick up when i have a lot of data on it. Also some areas seem funny. At home I can pick up quickly but always when leaving work it takes 2-3km. Have not checked the Bryton but the garmin is doing that. So far the GF's Bryton seems to pick up the same time as my garmin.

On his site now making contact, will keep you posted...

Just checked DC rainmaker and can't find a review for the bryton...pity cause I would love his unbiased review. Hint hint...maybe send him a loan one ballistic bike. His opinion and review will speak a thousand words for your product...good or bad.

It’s all related to what satellites are available at any specific time of the day...

24 Satellites circumnavigate the globe twice daily, so you can imagine that they change all the time, today you might pick up no 3, 5 and 7 and so on and tomorrow a different batch of satellites.

Best practice is to just turn the device on a minute before the activity starts and ensure you have good satellite reception, a cold start is approx 25-45 seconds in clear sky conditions...then when you press go it should be 100%. This is best practice for all GPS enabled devices no matter the brand.

I also remember reading somewhere that there is some setting to boost the seek time but it uses more juice. This morning I went for a ride and within a few seconds of switching on the device it found the satellites. Considering that I've not used my device in over a month (the sattelite positions are always changing) and where I switched on the device is a deadzone for my TomTom unless it has the very latest info for sattelites which need to have been loaded in the last 7 days.

I must say that besides the software issue in my original post (and I will not comment anymore till I test the new beta), I really like the device. It was great using it this morning, the display is clear and I had zero problems with it.

ha ha after all my defending bryton my bloody 35 froze this afternoon after about 25kms...lost my whole training ride

Sadly a Garmin costs a tad more than the R1400 I paid for the Bryton

You get what you pay for. Not only in terms of product and software but also after sales service, reliability and and and... I suggest save the money and buy the Edge.

ha ha after all my defending bryton my bloody 35 froze this afternoon after about 25kms...lost my whole training ride

No way! Lucky its xmas soon thumbup1.gif

I will speak from experience here and say that the Bryton 35 was one of my best cycling related purchases to date. I have never had a problem with satellites, however I do turn it on whilst I put my helmet and shoes on before a ride. I have never had a problem with the software, I think it works well and is great for a free service. I am running Bryton Bridge on a Mac and Mac's often don't have software specifically made for them, so this is a bonus. Polar still doesn't support Mac users which is one of the reasons why I decided to move to the Bryton.

The battery is also great! I have only ever charged it when it is uploading my rides, otherwise it never sees a charger.

The after sales support from Jason is also great considering I emailed him with a login problem the day I got my Bryton and he sorted the problem out before I had a chance to complain on here.

Bryton FTW

Still not tried beta software (had other stuff to do) but once again on my morning ride the device is awesome. Its easy to use and works great. I've decided to make piece with the fact that if I want to monitor my stats with a 1TB database of historic data then my 35 might not be the answer. But for an all in one device that replaced separate devices, I'm happy with it.

Still not tried beta software (had other stuff to do) but once again on my morning ride the device is awesome. Its easy to use and works great. I've decided to make piece with the fact that if I want to monitor my stats with a 1TB database of historic data then my 35 might not be the answer. But for an all in one device that replaced separate devices, I'm happy with it.

Why not get Sporttracks3 from the web...free edition. Awesome app and as Ballistic Bikes promised you can seamlessly import without any internet connection. I don't bother with garmin web thing...its nice, but a bit light in the pants.

I want to give Jason from Bryton a big thumbs up. I had some trouble with getting my Bryton to work and after emailing him he replied to my email within minutes. He also gave me a call and within 10 minutes all was sortedthumbup1.gif thumbup1.gif. With such a personal touch I give Bryton another big thumbs upthumbup1.gif.

I want to give Jason from Bryton a big thumbs up. I had some trouble with getting my Bryton to work and after emailing him he replied to my email within minutes. He also gave me a call and within 10 minutes all was sortedthumbup1.gif thumbup1.gif. With such a personal touch I give Bryton another big thumbs upthumbup1.gif.

Great to hear you came right

You get what you pay for. Not only in terms of product and software but also after sales service, reliability and and and... I suggest save the money and buy the Edge.

I've been on this forum longer than your 10 posts and we have had times where Hubbers where furious with all brands including your beloved Garmin. My rant is the software not the hardware.

Who ever said Bryton's service sucks, doesn't know what his talking about. Jason from Bryton Helped me out 22:00 tonight because i had software problems.

I've never heard any Garmin people going out of their way helping their customers this late at night.thumbup1.gif thumbup1.gif

My bryton has frozen on me twice! But it still beats my bf's garmin 800 who's battery life doesn't last 1 day of a stage race!

I hardly ever charge mine, the only time it charges is when I'm downloading my workouts!

Thanks for all the feedback Jason, really looking forward to the new software - hopefully the strava button stays :)