Titanium Rocket

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@JB:

WHEEL STIFFNESS?!

I thought this was not in your vocabulary...

Pretend you didn't see it and never mention it again.

I have exactly the same wheelset .It's a decent wheelset , but not the lightest! I am also 68kg and a xc racer , you won't go wrong with these wheelset and super reliable!

Blitzer - which model Mavic rims are you referring to?

Or at 68kg, should I just stick with ZTR Crest?

The 719.s.At your weight crest is fine,but not as stiff or strong as mavics.Putting it another way .I trusted the mavic combo for robust heavy riding like pioneer and they held up brilliantly .I will only trust the crests for flat type dirtroad riding .JB will tell you ,you can bend a rim on a flat road too ,and he is right .Continental protection tyres are as robust as they come .Let a local wheel buider build you a set and use and abuse them in this wonderful MTBing country of ours Edited by Blitzer

The 719.s.At your weight crest is fine,but not as stiff or strong as mavics.Putting it another way .I trusted the mavic combo for robust heavy riding like pioneer and they held up brilliantly .I will only trust the crests for flat type dirtroad riding .JB will tell you ,you can bend a rim on a flat road too ,and he is right .Continental protection tyres are as robust as they come .Let a local wheel buider build you a set and use and abuse them in this wonderful MTBing country of ours

I did the Pioneer and some way more technical riding with my Crest rims and absolutely no problems to date. Not even problems to true the wheels. The Crest rims are tougher than that.

I did the Pioneer and some way more technical riding with my Crest rims and absolutely no problems to date. Not even problems to true the wheels. The Crest rims are tougher than that.

Mushashi.I agree crests are stronger than they get credit for .But with my total weight with bike at 110kg ,they dont inspire the same confidance going down a steep rocky decent at speed

Mushashi.I agree crests are stronger than they get credit for .But with my total weight with bike at 110kg ,they dont inspire the same confidance going down a steep rocky decent at speed

Makes sense. The Crest is designed for lighter riders. The Arch rims are for heavier riders.

Lets get back to spokes: how much of weight penalty would one pay by using the thicker (1.8mm) DT Swiss Competition over the 1.5mm Revolutions?

About Crest rims strength-wise, I think its more of an issue using them on bikes that are going to do a lot of air time.. General event/marathon use, they will be fine. Mine have been, 2+ years in the mix, I am around 85 Kg's on a good day.

Very happy with my Stans ZTR ArchEX 29ers. Weight limit is 108kg. They weight 1710g. Love the noise that the hub makes. Check out Buycycle.

Edited by The Search

Let me throw a spanner in the works.

Blunt rims

Excellent choice.

The Blunts were mentioned once on the the previous page.

:P

Lets get back to spokes: how much of weight penalty would one pay by using the thicker (1.8mm) DT Swiss Competition over the 1.5mm Revolutions?

About Crest rims strength-wise, I think its more of an issue using them on bikes that are going to do a lot of air time.. General event/marathon use, they will be fine. Mine have been, 2+ years in the mix, I am around 85 Kg's on a good day.

About 30 grams per wheel more using the Competitions ... you can get 3.5 grams of that back by taking the stickers off the wheel... :) :)

If you want rigidity or strengthget them professionally built and you will be amazed at the difference. I run a set of these and I am abig boy, but yes they are a flittle flexy under my weight (about 30kgs more than you)

Rigidity comes from spke tension and strength in the "spoked" whell. Lighter spokes equals more flex etc. The building is the magic.

If you want lowerweight you compromise strength

I like my smile, and have always had a fear of wheels collapsing under my weight, so I go for strength.

Try Ruan Deysel from Spokeworks. He is very lnowledgable.

I am 73kg, great setup... ride them on my rigid SS, they flex plenty, so a good comfy ride... I would look at arches or something similar if you do a lot of rocky riding and need to take the odd hit.

Nothing worse than walking in a marathon.

Edited by kennyg