Where to find an Extra Small Dual Suspension Bike?

Ettas

As you will notice I am pretty new to the cycling community. I am looking for a dual suspension mountain bike for my wife. Problem is, she needs an extra small frame. So far I haven't been able to find a bike for her. I've been to quite a few shops including Linden Cycles and Cajee's. Most of the bike shops have told me that I will not find an extra small dual suspension bike. One has recommended the Trek Lush S.

Others have recommended that I just buy a hard tail with tubeless tyres and avoid buying any women's specific bikes.

Please help. What should I buy and what should I avoid buying?

Hi and welcome

I have a similar problem trying to find a bike small enough for my girlfriend. She is 5'1" with heels on. She had a ghost (stolen last year unfortunately) which was the best fit i could find. Problem is usually that the agents don't bring in the XS sizes, but they do exist. You may have to ask for a special import (or do it yourself via one of the international online stores).

Check out the link below for the bike she had. It's a great bike and out the box was ready to race.

http://www.rideghost.com/za/rt-lector-7700

On the hardtail side of things I know that GT make an xs Zaskar, there are also a few other options as hardtails are easier to make very small than dual suspensions.

On hard tail vs. soft tail there will be pages and pages of comments for and against. It's very much personal preference, my experience is that for someone that small, the dual suspension bikes are relatively heavy, and will definitely only fit one bottle cage. They will also "feel" a lot heavier for a smaller person. The are however easier on the body and will give a beginner more confidence. The hardtail will be and feel lighter, might fit two bottle cages and is less maintenance. Obviously considerations like terrain, length of ride and ambitions (racing vs. weekend warrior etc) will come into it as well.

My 2c.

What do all the rich spoilt brat school kids ride? heard there is some serious bling at the schools series.

I am 5'0" so I know the feeling of struggling to find the right size. I have had to make the call to stay on a hard tail because I simply can't afford a dualie that will not weigh a whole lot more than my hard tail. Most top end bikes are available in XS but as mentioned are not imported to SA as a rule so you need to bring it in yourself. Do not look at the WSD that are brought to SA as they tend to be lower end, heavy bikes.

The 2013 Trek Lush and Lush SL are women's specific dual suspension 26ers and will be available in size 14" in Jan 2013 for RRP of R25 999 and R29 999 respectively.

From the horses mouth...

What sort of budget are you working around? I have build some of the XS Turner Flux 26" frames in the past. To my knowledge its one of the smallest FS frames on the market. Big bonus is the length of the head-tube which will allow you to keep the handlebar in the correct position VS the saddle.

What do all the rich spoilt brat school kids ride? heard there is some serious bling at the schools series.

Green hardtails....

I saw a few at HotSpot(Pretoria) the other day, really nice ladies bikes from Cannondale and everything else. Looks almost like kiddies bikes :)