Cyclist Breaking the Law to be Fined......

ZakAttak

Here's an interesting article and was surely on the cards..... I'm all for it....

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/industry-news/fines-for-law-breaking-cyclists-1.1435041#.UL2QXeTqmVs

a snippet:

A crackdown on cyclists who break the law is looming - just as new legislation is ushered in to protect riders. Western Cape transport MEC Robin Carlisle announced at the weekend that the Western Cape Provincial Road Traffic Act was passed by the provincial legislature late last week.

“While much of the new act is largely administrative, it empowers the provincial minister of transport to regulate certain matters to increase road safety in the province,” he reported. This would include the a new rule long-awaited by cyclists - the regulation requiring all vehicles overtaking cyclists to ensure that there was a safe distance of at least 1.5 metres between them before passing.

But Carlisle also warned: “This will be accompanied by law enforcement actions against cyclists who do not ride in single file, or who fail to stop at red robots or stop streets.”

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for it, but I am HUGELY concerned about the attitude of drivers in the comments below! Us cyclists still have a long way to go below there will be any kind of mutual respect.

Pre the stupid K53 test, the drivers' test specifically stated there's an order to who has priority on the road, and that using the road is a priviledge and not a right. First, pedestrians, then cyclists, motorcyclists, cars, and finally trucks. Watch at intersections now though; cars just drive and the pedestrian has to wait (also, traffic of whatever kind has priority if you're turning left).

Will cyclists have to ride with an ID book or how else will they verify your details?

Also, in the 70s, bicycles had to be licensed - 50c it was then, I think. That would also help with the theft issues, because ownership could be traced.

Great idea but it won't work. With a driver mentality of South Africans you have to start sorting these types of things out at the bottom.

First get people to obey the common road rules before you just add to that heap.

I wonder why there is so much hatred towards cyclists when car drivers have more anger on a daily basis towards other drivers disobeying the rules and driving like maniacs...so frustrating, BUT i will remain to be a happy cyclist that enjoys my passion for freedom and health :)

I wonder why there is so much hatred towards cyclists when car drivers have more anger on a daily basis towards other drivers disobeying the rules and driving like maniacs...so frustrating, BUT i will remain to be a happy cyclist that enjoys my passion for freedom and health http://1.1.1.4/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Perceived to be easier targets?

People just hate somethingsomeone that dare be a bit different from them

Perceived to be easier targets?

People just hate somethingsomeone that dare be a bit different from them

Very true! Maybe they are also just jealous of our awesome and healthy lifestyles whistling.gif

So in essence that guy who blasted through a red traffic light the other day, just missing me by less than a second could actually be prosecuted?