To take new bike on Camping Holiday or Not???

Ryan

So we are going to St Lucia and will be camping in tents... I have just outlayed some cash on a new bike ...do I take the bike or not??

There are some nice trails to ride but I cant help thinking that stressing about the bikes being stolen will make it just not worth it for me... I have even been thinking that maybe I should buy a cheapie bike to take up with me. We are going to a caravan park which has guards patrolling at night but I dont know if the worry is worth it as much as i would like to ride... What do you guys think??

Edited by Ryanie

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we are going to St Lucia and will be camping in tents... I have just outkayed some cash on a new bike ...do I take the bike or not??

There are some nice trails to ride but I cant help thinking that stressing about the bikes being stolen will make it just not worth it for me... I have even been thinking that maybe I should buy a cheapie bike to take up with me. We are going to caravan park which has guards patrolling at night but I dont know if the worry is worth it as much as i would like to ride... What do you guys think??

Personally, I would not risk my bikes. If they are stolen, chances are good that insurance won't pay due to non-secure location.

Allways take your bike!!!

Buy a solid lifting chain at your hardware store and a moer big lock so that you can put it through all the wheels, frame etc.

Just get a proper lock, or leave it inside a car at night. It's not like you're going to mordor.

Bikes are there too ride, if they're too precious then they are not bikes but museum pieces. Don't forget, there's a chance you leave your bike at home and you get burgled.ph34r.png

first person to post the pic of the guy sleeping with his bike in the tent will be permanently banned from the hub

You can buy alarm padlocks which set off a hell of a noise when slightly disturbed. I always use them, with chains, to lock my bikes when camping.

Just get a proper lock, or leave it inside a car at night. It's not like you're going to mordor.

Bikes are there too ride, if they're too precious then they are not bikes but museum pieces. Don't forget, there's a chance you leave your bike at home and you get burgled.ph34r.png

Was thinking the same frikken thing huh.png

So we are going to St Lucia and will be camping in tents... I have just outkayed some cash on a new bike ...do I take the bike or not??

There are some nice trails to ride but I cant help thinking that stressing about the bikes being stolen will make it just not worth it for me... I have even been thinking that maybe I should buy a cheapie bike to take up with me. We are going to caravan park which has guards patrolling at night but I dont know if the worry is worth it as much as i would like to ride... What do you guys think??

When I backedpacked Malawi etc in the 80's I used to tie the backpacks to my ankle...try that :-)

Family of mine camped and hiked in St Lucia in the 90's and had most of their stuff pinched.

You can buy alarm padlocks which set off a hell of a noise when slightly disturbed. I always use them, with chains, to lock my bikes when camping.

Now this I would like to see... I have two plastic coated cable type bike ties with combination locks 1.8 m long. The cable is about 15mm thick... As Dictator said they shoudnt be a museum piece but why is this so hard man?? Maybe the "Bikey" must sleep in the cab

first person to post the pic of the guy sleeping with his bike in the tent will be permanently banned from the hub

Tempting.....ph34r.png

Agree with the always take the bike sentiments. But at St Lucia, where are you going to ride? Can't go North into the reserve, along the river there are hippos and crocs and snakes galore, so inland somewhere?

You guys have made some really good points. I guess because I find camping too much of a hassle/inconvenience to even want to do it, I just would not want the added stress of securing the bike/s. If staying in any brick-and-mortar type of accomodation I'd definitely take the bikes.

You guys have made some really good points. I guess because I find camping too much of a hassle/inconvenience to even want to do it, I just would not want the added stress of securing the bike/s. If staying in any brick-and-mortar type of accomodation I'd definitely take the bikes.

Then you doing it wrong. For us, camping is the finest holiday that there is. We do caravans though, which makes it a bit easier.

1) slightly disturbed....would heavy rain/wind be enough to slightly disturb and set the alarm off ?

2) where can you buy these ?