CRACK IN CARBON FRAME

Marcbain

I've had a small accident on my carbon road bike. There is a small crack in the top tube of the frame. Trying to find out if i need to replace the entire frame or if i could get the crack repaired and without breaking the bank!

Will the crack get excessively worse if i continue cycling on it?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phone Pro Cycles in Benoni and speak to them they repaired my Giant TCR and it is as good as new.

this is the number 011 425 2007 (Paul Farrance)

They were in the Bicycling Magazine as well in the previous issue.

I do have insurance. Bike is only 3 weeks old...

Thanks for the feedback. I won't ride it and rather get it taken into Pro Cycles or Macarbi Racing for further analyses.

Chat to the guys at Macarbi Racing (http://www.macarbi.com).

Their core business is making carbon rowing boats and even canoes, but they also do repairs for carbon bikes.

I have had quite a bit of work done on bikes by them and even wheels. Excellent work and great guys Steve and Andy!

Insurance seldom pay for the repair, they normally replace.

Why ride a repaired bike when your insurance will replace it with a new one that will come with a warranty (since your accident, your warranty is gone too). You pay premiums for this type of thing..........get a new one.

Insurance seldom pay for the repair, they normally replace.

Why ride a repaired bike when your insurance will replace it with a new one that will come with a warranty (since your accident, your warranty is gone too). You pay premiums for this type of thing..........get a new one.

My thoughts exactly!

Just to confirm: repairing a carbon bike really works. I had a nasty bunch fall in February which basically broke my one chainstay about 3/4 and cracked both seatstays on a lovely bike only 6 months old. A structural engineer cycling friend told me that the material qualities of carbon actually fix better than any other type of bike, and referred me (with advice from Bruce Reyneke Cycles) to LST (Light Structures Technology) in Silverton, Pretoria. They did an excellent job (for R1500+VAT). The bike rides as good as before again , and no-one else even notices that the bike is not brand new and spotless.

I have had quite a bit of work done on bikes by them and even wheels. Excellent work and great guys Steve and Andy!

Andy is an old mate from my paddling days. Earlier this year he left Steve in JHB and moved the family to Ballito (clever guy). He's still very much part of the business though.

I do have insurance. Bike is only 3 weeks old...

Thanks for the feedback. I won't ride it and rather get it taken into Pro Cycles or Macarbi Racing for further analyses.

If you have insurance just replace it, any structural weakness in carbon is a bad idea if you ask me.