CRACK IN CARBON FRAME

Marcbain

I've had a small accident on my carbon road bike. There is a small crack in the top tube of the frame. Trying to find out if i need to replace the entire frame or if i could get the crack repaired and without breaking the bank!

Will the crack get excessively worse if i continue cycling on it?

Hi

Here is a pic of the crack in my frame

post-35574-0-98709200-1355470232_thumb.jpg

Thats NO small crack dude. Rather have it looked at ASAP. I would rather have it repaired than ride it like that. If you have insurance and can have it replaced you could go that route as well....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

eek.gif

Hell dont ride this bike like this , the top tube could fold in on itself under load .

PS : that is NOT a small crack !

get it fixed or replaced

Edited by Iron

Hi

Here is a pic of the crack in my frame

post-35574-0-98709200-1355470232_thumb.jpg

get it repaired or replaced that would cost around R2000 to repair at Procyles. your will break it in half if you ride like that

get it repaired or replaced that would cost around R2000 to repair at Procyles. your will break it in half if you ride like that

Do you know how much carbon you can buy for R2000? I really hope these guys that charge these ridiculous prices to repair carbon supply a pot of Vaseline with each repair whistling.gif

Do you know how much carbon you can buy for R2000? I really hope these guys that charge these ridiculous prices to repair carbon supply a pot of Vaseline with each repair whistling.gif

This reminds me of a story.

One day, a machine stops working in a factory. The foreman tries everything, but just can't figure out what's wrong. Eventually, in desperation, he calls in a consulting engineer to have a look at the problem.

The engineer arrives and spends 5 minutes just staring at the machine. Finally, he takes out a piece of chalk and makes a big X on one of the panels.

"Hit it there with a big hammer", he tells the foreman, before leaving. Once he's gone, they bring out the hammer and give the machine an almighty klap on the X. It immediately starts up and begins purring away.

A week later they receive the invoice from the engineer:

1x Engineering consulting - R1,500

The foreman is rather upset: "All he did was stand around for 5min and then make a chalk X on the machine, no way I'm paying R1,500 for a chalk mark!"

He demands that the engineer send them an itemised bill showing how he could charge so much, since chalk is so cheap. A few hours later, he gets the new itemised invoice:

1x Chalk - R5
1x Knowing where to put the chalk - R1,495

The moral of the story: the materials may be cheap, but the skill to use them properly is not.

This reminds me of a story.

One day, a machine stops working in a factory. The foreman tries everything, but just can't figure out what's wrong. Eventually, in desperation, he calls in a consulting engineer to have a look at the problem.

The engineer arrives and spends 5 minutes just staring at the machine. Finally, he takes out a piece of chalk and makes a big X on one of the panels.

"Hit it there with a big hammer", he tells the foreman, before leaving. Once he's gone, they bring out the hammer and give the machine an almighty klap on the X. It immediately starts up and begins purring away.

A week later they receive the invoice from the engineer:

1x Engineering consulting - R1,500

The foreman is rather upset: "All he did was stand around for 5min and then make a chalk X on the machine, no way I'm paying R1,500 for a chalk mark!"

He demands that the engineer send them an itemised bill showing how he could charge so much, since chalk is so cheap. A few hours later, he gets the new itemised invoice:

1x Chalk - R5
1x Knowing where to put the chalk - R1,495

The moral of the story: the materials may be cheap, but the skill to use them properly is not.

That my friend is a brilliant story.... Unfortunately having skills does not necessarily give one the right to shaft someone or to get rich quick.... That being said, thats probably why i will never be rich blush.png

That my friend is a brilliant story.... Unfortunately having skills does not necessarily give one the right to shaft someone or to get rich quick....

I suppose it depends on what the repair involves, but I presume (and hope) it's more than just slapping on a random patch of carbon and resin. Getting it repaired to where it's safe must take some additional effort, and even more if they can repair it to the point (as they claim on their site) where you won't even notice that it's been repaired.

The CPA also means that the supplier is in for some serious liabilities if the repair fails and you have a serious accident. That risk needs to be built into the cost.

I suppose it depends on what the repair involves, but I presume (and hope) it's more than just slapping on a random patch of carbon and resin. Getting it repaired to where it's safe must take some additional effort, and even more if they can repair it to the point (as they claim on their site) where you won't even notice that it's been repaired.

The CPA also means that the supplier is in for some serious liabilities if the repair fails and you have a serious accident. That risk needs to be built into the cost.

Look i get what you are saying and im not dissing anybody... All im saying is take a look at what i have done so far with approximately R900 worth of carbon and resin. That includes a whole array of different weaves etc as well as different resin's and hardeners.... Maybe then you will be able to understand WHY i reckon that R2000 for a repair alone is way too much.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/123522-my-new-single-speed-build/

Again this is just my 2c.....

Look i get what you are saying and im not dissing anybody... All im saying is take a look at what i have done so far with approximately R900 worth of carbon and resin. That includes a whole array of different weaves etc as well as different resin's and hardeners.... Maybe then you will be able to understand WHY i reckon that R2000 for a repair alone is way too much.

That's a really cool frame, nice job thumbup1.gif.

The point I'm making is that it may be R900 worth of material, but how much time did it take to get it to that point and how much time will it take to get all prepped and painted? Nevermind the hours you must have put in doing your research to figure out what goes where to ensure a safe ride.

R2000 for a frame repair is a lot if it's just some appy taking 15min to stick on a patch and giving a quick shot of rattle-can paint. Maybe it's not so much if you're paying a skilled person to prep the area, know the right material to choose, prep for paint and then paint to match the existing finish.

R2000 for the repair is crazy.

No, it is not crazy - say it takes 3 hours of work to prep, repair and finish off that, including clean up or equipment, that works out to about R630 per hour - that's about what a motor mechanics charge out is these days - not crazy at all, and I suspect 3 hours of work would be the minimum it would take to get it near invisible.

It's like choosing wheels - you can have any 2 of these 3 - cheap, light and strong... take your pick.

http://www.thehubsa....le-speed-build/

Again this is just my 2c.....

How much time do you have in planning and sourcing materials, and thinking and building that frame? what do you value your time at?

Just saying....

• 4 weeks later...