GP 4000S Tyres

VroomSL

My experience with these tyres has been very dissapointing.

For the price point of these tyres it's really a bad reflection on the continental brand.

1. It easily punctures - even when new.

2. Accumulates cuts very quickly

3. Not very long lasting.

Perhaps it's not for riders over 65kgs.

Would like to hear what other hubbers experiences were around durability of these tyres.

I certainly shall not be buying these tyres again.

Edited by VroomSL

My experience with these tyres has been very dissapointing.

For the price point of these tyres it's really a bad reflection on the continental brand.

1. It easily punctures - even when new.

2. Accumulates cuts very quickly

3. Not very long lasting.

Perhaps it's not for riders over 65kgs.

Would like to hear what other hubbers experiences were around durability of these tyres.

I certainly shall not be buying these tyres again.

I'm quite happy with mine, given only race with them, touch wood, never had a puncture on 3 sets in 5 years...

(Normally 2 x Ultra Tri's and 6 or so std tri's in a year)

Agree not the longest lasting tyres, but did see a life expectancy somewhere of about 1500 km's

They puncture more easily than Gatorskins but keep in mind they have less rolling resistance and weigh less. Use mine every weekend and only had 2 punctures. The last ride with gators I had 4 in 8km. You just had a bad day. I check my tyre pressure every 2 weeks and I weigh 96kg.

Being race tyres, I suspect that you may be expecting too much.

Race tyres often use very soft compounds so they will cut easily and not last very long.

Puncturing may also just have been bad luck.

That said, I haven't used Conti tyres for a while.

I'm on Vittoria and/or Michellin.

I am very happy with mine. Yes, they do get small cuts, but that is due to the soft compound. They feel smooth and fast, which is what they are designed for. I have done about 1500 km on mine an luckily I haven't had a single puncture.

They puncture more easily than Gatorskins but keep in mind they have less rolling resistance and weigh less. Use mine every weekend and only had 2 punctures. The last ride with gators I had 4 in 8km. You just had a bad day. I check my tyre pressure every 2 weeks and I weigh 96kg.

You should check your pressure and re-inflate every single ride, and lube your chain while you're at it.

I never leave home without mine at 8 bar (80kg)

I did have my concerns with grip on these in the wet when I first put them on, the slid out at 8 bar (on the rear) and i stopped and dropped the pressure to 6 bar for the rain and they were fine after that. I haven't punctured on them once yet and they are wearing just fine. They are nice and light and I don't think they cut any easier than any other tire. On any road you have to watch where you're riding and stay away from glass etc (and if you do cruise through a patch I run my glove over the tires to sweep the glass out)

With all that said i still use my Shamal's running tubeless with Huchinson Fusion 3's more than any other wheelset. Complete peace of mind. I hardly even leave home with more than a bomb even for 100km plus rides.

I use them on my race wheels, current set have about 1200k's on them, not one puncture so far, and still in fairly good condition.

I check for small cuts after every race and fix with superglue as necessary.

They do wear fairly quick, but they aren't designed to last forever.

No complaints my side.

It is all I have been using as long as I have cycled. I ride mine at 9 bar. I weigh 95kg. Yes they do cut easily, that's why you have to keep your eyes open and avoid patches of dirt and any glass bits. As for wear, I think they are reasonable. My 2c.

I agree with the other replies above. They roll nicely, have decent enough protection, and wear quite well. I had one bad week where I got 2 side wall cuts on the rear (you know how hard it is to throw away a tyre that is only a week old!), but otherwise I'm quite happy with them. I'm close to 80kgs, and have done almost 10 000kms on the road bike this year with 2 side wall cuts, and 4 other punctures. Not bad going...

This is the only tyre I use for training and racing. I very seldom get punctures and they last quite long as a race tyre. From they get a big thumbup1.gif . I ride them 8r/7f bar. Tried Vittoria and for me it did not last as long

Edited by LOOK695

For what they are in terms or rolling resistance and weight, they are probably the best out there.

Porbably depends what you want out of a tyre. I have been using GP4000 exclusively since 2005, and get good mileage out of them with relatively few punctures.

I put a set on in late August

so far I had done about 1500 kms on them without a puncture and wear wise they still had quite a bit of life left.

I cut a sidewall on glass in the cradle on Sunday so front tyre is now unusable.

I cant fault them I like how they feel on the road and up untill this Sunday had been bomb proof.

They do pick up the small nics and tiny cuts but dont really see that as a problem.

I weigh about 75kgs and check and correct pressures every time I ride running rear on 8.5 and front on 8.2

I am waiting for a new set to arrive now from CRC

Best tyre by far! Done 3000 km + on my set with 2 punctures thus far. Soft compound cuts easier than Gatorskin but overall a much smother feel.

Have been racing and training on them for about 3 years. Maybe 2 punctures in a total of 23 000km. I get around 7-10 000 km on a set.

Quite happy with mine.

As said above. Check pressure regularly.