Bradley Wiggins sets sights on second Tour de France title

shaper

Wiggo is the poms' favourite son. They won't let a "fake" pom lead their team.

It's sad for Froome but he's still under contract for two years and while he's there he'll ride for Wiggo. Money talks.

With Froome riding in support of Wiggo Sky will once again be a force to be reckoned with. Nobody will just walk over them.

That being said, with the likes of Contador, Purito, Valverde and Schleck along with ( the very disapointing 2012 competitors) Nibali and the Evans and Tejay combo there I'm expecting a lot more action.

My money will be on Contador, but you can't write of Wiggo. He's got a strong team behind him and he still is a classy rider.

Sure is, but a very boring one too. My opinion is he wont feature much this year in the grand tours, a lot just happened to fall his way last year in that the TDF suited him with the TT's, relatively little competition from the rated tour riders like 'Berto and Schleck and of course a strong team in context on the day, however the courses have changed radically and now there is a lot more climbing which suits the lightweight climbers, the teams of the big names will also be very strong, make no mistake about that as they will have a potential podium winner to support and of course 'Berto is unlikely to lose huge chunks of time in the TT, so Bradly's dominance there will be limited as well.

Although I think he is a great rider, he is not in the same league as 'Berto, Schleck and Rodriguez when it comes to grand tours, or at least I dont think so.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Individual sport but sorry, still don't see the guy oozing class

Define 'class'?

Is it his eccentric bits that irk you?

:-)

He is comparable to Evans.

Great, but not known for dynamic racing with high risk-high reward attached to it.

Sure is, but a very boring one too. My opinion is he wont feature much this year in the grand tours, a lot just happened to fall his way last year in that the TDF suited him with the TT's, relatively little competition from the rated tour riders like 'Berto and Schleck and of course a strong team in context on the day, however the courses have changed radically and now there is a lot more climbing which suits the lightweight climbers, the teams of the big names will also be very strong, make no mistake about that as they will have a potential podium winner to support and of course 'Berto is unlikely to lose huge chunks of time in the TT, so Bradly's dominance there will be limited as well.

Although I think he is a great rider, he is not in the same league as 'Berto, Schleck and Rodriguez when it comes to grand tours, or at least I dont think so.

Well put GoG, bottom line is 2013 is going to be one hell of a good year for pro cycling in general.

Classics and grand tours.

Well put GoG, bottom line is 2013 is going to be one hell of a good year for pro cycling in general.

Classics and grand tours.

Really looking forward to it.

Tour Down Under is not too far away...

:-)

Bernard Hinault and Greg Lemond won the 1985 and 1986 tours respectively. They were on the same team, La Vie Claire. Hinault promised Lemond support in 1986, provided that Lemond would ride support in 1985. Things didn't turn out quite that way.

The reality is that it takes a champion to win the Tour, and a champion's mentality is to win. No champion wants to ride support. If they are happy to ride support, they don't have the mentality to win. Two champions on one team is always a problem. It's good for neither.

Froome rode support. I'm not convinced he was happy, but he's always polite.

Recently there was Sastre/Schleck in 2008. Before Hinault/Lemond it was Hinault/Fignon, but 1985 and 1986 were dramatic. It just doesn't work.

A possible exception is close family, eg. Andy and Frank Shleck. Maybe.

Thanks for explaining.

Ask Cavendish how the madison at the Sydney Olympics went with Wiggins. Give you a better idea about how Wiggins looks out for anyone other than Wiggins

Wasn't that the Beijing Olympics?

Like Cavendish, Froome also needs to find greener pastures! Was such an epic fail last year when he put his foot down and left Wanko in his dust all to be called back to support him when it would have done nothing to overall results.

Poor form team sky!

• 2 weeks later...