Absa Cape Epic to impose lifetime ban for doping and increase in competition testing

slabs

bet you a lot of amateurs would be tested positive for cannabis too.......would that result in a lifetime ban from the event? i think it would.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Cape Epic website he is still listed as finishing 73rd overall and tenth in Masters.

Wonder when that will change.

Also this chap has completed 6 Epics, wonder how many were clean...

It was just this one time.

still believe its a spiked bottle a spectator handed me

None of my athletes ever got caught using it.... its a painkiller for back ache

Wonder if partner was tested too? biggest can of worms for me is why CSA sat on it for 9 months.

bummer for these guys who now get their names brought into the limelight for wrong reasons.

“Just to enter the event is R40 000 a team. As amateur athletes we were very lucky to get sponsors like PhotoNote, Toshiba, Yvex, Zoo York and Salomon. From that point we were incredibly fortunate,” says Andrew.

What a knop-kop, but he is not the only amateur who dopes.

It's just a matter of time and they'll all hang themselves.Racing is getting harder and Teams are harder to find.

Will this ban apply to the likes of Roberto Heras and any number of ex pro peloton dopers who gravitate toward the Epic?

“We’ve chosen not to apply this retrospectively because we believe that would be naive. As has been exposed in recent months, cycling has a dark past.

Well done Kevin Vermaak. I hope that more race organisers will follow your decition to NOT ALLOW any dopers in your tour.

+1

bet you a lot of amateurs would be tested positive for cannabis too.......would that result in a lifetime ban from the event? i think it would.

Kuk idea angry.png

they shouldnt be concerned about performance diminishing drugs ....

Some of the guys, like sluiper, has alluded to it, but if they test everybody at Epic, they will probably have to ban half the field! The positive would probably be that I can get a cheap entry for next year.

But seriously, you guys seem to be missing the point between PEDs and normal medicine. In most cases, almost all medicine have banned substances. Cortisone, asthma, pain pills, etc. Are we saying it's ok the "dope" if you're an amateur, but not if you're a pro? Seems like double standards? Or do we draw a line somewhere and say, right, you either race and can be tested and win, or you still do the race, but don't get position or prize money, but get a X category time.

Some of the guys, like sluiper, has alluded to it, but if they test everybody at Epic, they will probably have to ban half the field! The positive would probably be that I can get a cheap entry for next year.

But seriously, you guys seem to be missing the point between PEDs and normal medicine. In most cases, almost all medicine have banned substances. Cortisone, asthma, pain pills, etc. Are we saying it's ok the "dope" if you're an amateur, but not if you're a pro? Seems like double standards? Or do we draw a line somewhere and say, right, you either race and can be tested and win, or you still do the race, but don't get position or prize money, but get a X category time.

Not so complicated. There's a list, widely available at drug free sport websites, and it spells out what you cant take. If they test you, in 757th place and you shine, then you gone-dog.

If thats the clear upfront rule, then when you get sick, check WHATEVER you take with your doc before-hand.

Perhaps amateurs should have a differnet banned list to pro's? Im sure half the stuff found in USN products (or similar), even in micro doses would be a reg flag on the list of banned goodies.

Not so complicated. There's a list, widely available at drug free sport websites, and it spells out what you cant take. If they test you, in 757th place and you shine, then you gone-dog.

If thats the clear upfront rule, then when you get sick, check WHATEVER you take with your doc before-hand.

Some medication is over the counter as well as available at the SPAR .... should everyone spend tons of extra money getting medical opinions (which might not always be right) in case there was xyz in your cough medication?

Benjamin & JGR - that is exactly the problem, it is complicated. Like I said, almost any medicine contains some or other banned substance. Even some supplements. I can't see normal folk not taking anything through life, whether on purpose or not. The more I think about it, the more the two tier systems could work. 1st tier would be competitive racing (including pros, vets, etc.) And they would open themselves up for testing, and the 2nd tier where they don't test, but you don't get a placing, only time.

Benjamin & JGR - that is exactly the problem, it is complicated. Like I said, almost any medicine contains some or other banned substance. Even some supplements. I can't see normal folk not taking anything through life, whether on purpose or not. The more I think about it, the more the two tier systems could work. 1st tier would be competitive racing (including pros, vets, etc.) And they would open themselves up for testing, and the 2nd tier where they don't test, but you don't get a placing, only time.

Then my mate can take whatever he likes and beat me and its all good ?