Stolen DH Bike

Guest Omega Man

My bike also got stolen out of the garage about 2 weeks ago. Bastards somehow broke the thick steel hinges of the motorized garage gate to gain entry

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Police came later in the day and couldn't explain how they had managed to get this right

Edited by heed0

Dude thats poef! I'll keep an ear/ eye/ whatever to the ground. Glad they only stayed in the garage. I also lock up my bike in the garage as I have also had one leave a locked and alarmed garage.

Aaaaaargh!

This sucks big time. It pisses me off to no end, because I know exactly how you feel. @&$!

Honestly, just with like the Demo, who are they going to sell a bike like this to?! Even better, who are they going to sell a D3 to?! Whoever rides with it will spotted within half a second. I'm flabbergasted, it just doesn't make any sense. The only plausible explanation is that the stuff gets shipped abroad immediately, where there are thousands of DH riders who don't ask questions. This possibility worries me....

Worrying indeed, Martin. Gladly the D3 and BOS shock were left behind (must have been disturbed) but the fact is they targeted BIKE SPECIFIC items.

That smacks of a high end theft ring, targeting bikes. The question is - for who?

Really sorry Omega Man.

As noted by others I am glad the wife is ok.

This bike should stand out in a crowd and the serial no. is very good to have recorded.

Like the other poster said though, I do recon this bike is heading across borders soon to another country!

Guest Omega Man

Really sorry Omega Man.

As noted by others I am glad the wife is ok.

This bike should stand out in a crowd and the serial no. is very good to have recorded.

Like the other poster said though, I do recon this bike is heading across borders soon to another country!

Yeah. It makes no sense tho. The obvious market is Europe and there are thousands of downhillers there to steal bikes from. Jees. In Morzine you could just wait outside the bars for the drunk brits and take their bikes from them. If they are being stolen SOMEONE must be buying them.

I'm going to get a big ass lockring to bolt my bikes to the deck like guys with motorbikes do.

Really sorry to hear this. Hope your insurance come to the party and that the new owner runs into Karma.

Guest Omega Man

The Mak. Pic taken on a good day. Real good day. This bike doesn't deserve to be used as a tik merchants SUV.

post-18968-0-53900400-1356535909_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Omega Man

The replacement has been selected. Nothing could possibly replace my beloved Mak but I'm probably getting one of these puppies to help me get over the misery. I loved the look of these in Morzine. It will be the only one in the country so if some **** steals it it will deff be easy to spot in a crowd.

post-18968-0-70365900-1357287184_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-69463500-1357287204_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

My bike also got stolen out of the garage about 2 weeks ago. Bastards somehow broke the thick steel hinges of the motorized garage gate to gain entry

Ja the Fcukers somehow broke the motor for my gate. There are dudes coming to fix it today. Grrrrrr. The insurance assessor told me they make some sort of tool to open remote garages. If only they'd use their powers for good.

Just noticed now, OM - that's a zero length DM stem! Mondraker taking their extended top tube principle to DH... You'll have AMAZING input on those bars, I reckon...

SICK choice.

Guest Omega Man

Just noticed now, OM - that's a zero length DM stem! Mondraker taking their extended top tube principle to DH... You'll have AMAZING input on those bars, I reckon...

SICK choice.

Ja. Dig it. I'm hoping it goes as good as it looks.

You aren't gonna believe me but a few years ago (3ish) my mate Karl and I looked at developing a zero length stem. We even went so far as to drawing up a design in CAD.

There were 2 main problems with the design tho. The bolt positioning was a problem cos the bolt positioning into the top crown wouldn't have clearance for oversize bars so you'd have to go back to skinnys if we were to use a 4 bolt design or the top crowns would have to be modified to accommodate our design (unlikely)

The other issue was steerer tube clearance cos with a zero reach stem your steerer has to be cut so no using that fork on another bike with a longer steerer tube.

That and everyone that looked at the design all said THAT WILL NEVER WORK BRU!

I'm really keen to get a close up look at that stem to see how they overcame those challenges. Particularly the bolt pattern.

Edited by Omega Man

Ja. Dig it. I'm hoping it goes as good as it looks.

You aren't gonna believe me but a few years ago (3ish) my mate Karl and I looked at developing a zero length stem. We even went so far as to drawing up a design in CAD.

There were 2 main problems with the design tho. The bolt positioning was a problem cos the bolt positioning into the top crown wouldn't have clearance for oversize bars so you'd have to go back to skinnys if we were to use a 4 bolt design or the top crowns would have to be modified to accommodate our design (unlikely)

The other issue was steerer tube clearance cos with a zero reach stem your steerer has to be cut so no using that fork on another bike with a longer steerer tube.

That and everyone that looked at the design all said THAT WILL NEVER WORK BRU!

I'm really keen to get a close up look at that stem to see how they overcame those challenges. Particularly the bolt pattern.

I'm not sure how Mondraker does it, but my forst instinct is to have 2 sets of bolts.

Four lower ones, spaced to match Boxxer/Fox 40 crowns. These will be countersunk. Then come the bars, with another 4 bolts to clamp.

Judging by how thick the bottom portion of the zero stem is, I think Mondraker may have gone for this simple solution. This could also allow for 10-15mm of steerer tube length leeway (approx the same amount as most people have with the conventional spacer method).

I'm not sure how Mondraker does it, but my forst instinct is to have 2 sets of bolts.

Four lower ones, spaced to match Boxxer/Fox 40 crowns. These will be countersunk. Then come the bars, with another 4 bolts to clamp.

Judging by how thick the bottom portion of the zero stem is, I think Mondraker may have gone for this simple solution. This could also allow for 10-15mm of steerer tube length leeway (approx the same amount as most people have with the conventional spacer method).

Think I should be an engineer or something :lol:

http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8221018/p4pb8221018.jpg

http://www.dirtragmag.com/userfiles/forward3.jpg

Guest Omega Man

Ja. This is an oversight in my opinion. If the bolt spacing on the crown was done to accommodate oversize bars then the stem could be smaller, lighter and be held in with 4 bolts instead of 8 making it even lighterer.

Oh. Those pics remind me. another issue we encountered was fork/bar clearance.

Edited by Omega Man