Canyon Bikes

Guest Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Hey all.

Has anyone on the hub bought a Canyon bike from Canyon before? I'd like to know what the costs/duties were like an what the overall buying experience was like.

Cheers.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I checked you will have to add:

14% VAT

15% Duty (cause it's a complete bike)

Shipping

Info was inconclusive whether you will have to add the 10% "competition" duty as well. Know 2 guys who ordered from them and the service was ace. But both of them ordered to overseas destinations, only one brought the bike back here "2nd hand".

keep in mind that you will not pay the German tax on the bike. So the retail price may be more than the price which you will pay. Then the RSA 14% vat may not feel that steep. (UK pays 20% VAT). Alo customs knocks you 15% duty on a complete bike (it must be invoiced as complete bike). They have been known to let almost complete bikes through without the 15% duty. Lastly, postage also remains a big surprise. You may need to add R1K to the overall price for shipping (see if you can include spares in the box). Lasty, if you pay via card or EFT the banks also take a cut. (Almost 5% of the transction).

Set up a spreed sheet and factor all this in before you buy.

keep in mind that you will not pay the German tax on the bike. So the retail price may be more than the price which you will pay. Then the RSA 14% vat may not feel that steep. (UK pays 20% VAT). Alo customs knocks you 15% duty on a complete bike (it must be invoiced as complete bike). They have been known to let almost complete bikes through without the 15% duty. Lastly, postage also remains a big surprise. You may need to add R1K to the overall price for shipping (see if you can include spares in the box). Lasty, if you pay via card or EFT the banks also take a cut. (Almost 5% of the transction).

Set up a spreed sheet and factor all this in before you buy.

Shipping of a complete bike is 400 euros, so a bit more than R1K.

With the decline of Rand against Euro and Pound it is becoming more and more expensive to shop online. Sone things are even cheaper locally.

It's good that Canyon sells direct and you get a crash replacement option as well. Problem is if you have to claim for factory fault or crash you are then liable for pnp back to Germany. I like the idea of dealing with someone face to face when forking out over 30k for a bike ( if I had 30k to spend on a bike).

Guest Omega Man

Thanks for the replies. Anyone actually bought one and had it shipped here?

Saw the delivery cost of 400 euro. ouch

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Last time I checked you will have to add:

14% VAT

15% Duty (cause it's a complete bike)

Shipping

Info was inconclusive whether you will have to add the 10% "competition" duty as well. Know 2 guys who ordered from them and the service was ace. But both of them ordered to overseas destinations, only one brought the bike back here "2nd hand".

If I factor in all of the taxes and duties and delivery less the German VAT it's STILL under 50k for a DH bike with a Cane Creek Double Barrel, Kashima fox 40, Mavic Deemax wheels etc etc.

Hard to ignore.

with a complete bike the vat works out to 17.5%, and if like most people you're not vat registered just work on 32.5% 'tax' to make things easier, this isn't calculated on the shipping but if they mention items like packing or any documentation charges at origin you will pay on those as well not juts the bike.....

If I factor in all of the taxes and duties and delivery less the German VAT it's STILL under 50k for a DH bike with a Cane Creek Double Barrel, Kashima fox 40, Mavic Deemax wheels etc etc.

Hard to ignore.

Hmmmm, someone has their eye on a Torque FRX. It is pretty hard to ignore this beast.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q605/shaheedosman/e7fbb807d212f05dcedf499c68ddeb5a.jpg

Edited by Cippo

Are those prices on their site without the German tax?

Are there local agents for these bikes and do we have price indications?

Guest Omega Man

Are those prices on their site without the German tax?

Are there local agents for these bikes and do we have price indications?

I think the prices include German tax. There's no local agent anywhere. They are sold exclusively online cutting out agents and the like hence the attractive pricing. The downside being warranty claims.

I've always liked the build quality of the bikes having seen quite a few up close. (Their main test rider Rob J is a friend of a friend and he often comes out here to ride in the European winter)