One blocked ear affecting balance on the bike?

Skylark

Just drove down yesterday from high altitude and my one ear is still blocked , hasn't depressurized or something. Anyway I take my bike off the trailer today and go take a quick spin around the parking lot , there's a little 2 brick wall so I thought a quick little bunny hop will be fun , no high speed or fancy stuff - slammed straight off the bike into the concrete , knees banged , shin ripped from pedals , hands skinned , wrists a little bust up.

Was such a bizarre experience it was if my balance was totally messed , I literally lifted the bike off the ground and fell straight over . I have a bit of experience with sketchy landings and dealing with going skew in the air but this was as if I had absolutely no balance control , it was an instantaneous slam no oops this is going all wrong.

Anyone had this weird experience with one blocked ear messing with your balance?

What does one blocked ear do to your physiology?

Messes with your balance. Ears are the accelerometers of the body.

Messes with your balance. Ears are the accelerometers of the body.

This. I had a blocked ear some years ago, was so bad I was completely deaf in it for a day. Balance was down the river with that one.

Yep had this on day 3 of 3 towers this year, riding down a 4 km off camber singletrack decent was no joke! Lost 1km on my partner, couldn't keep my bike in a straight line!

Little tubes in your ear are filled with fluid that determine your orientation in conjuction with other senses like sight. All these together send messages to your brain to tell your body what to do.

Edited by Cippo

I bumped my head and had severe concussion.... after nearly a month in ICU I came home and about a month later tried to ride. It was like 'Whhhhat the faaaark, where are my training wheels??' but a few weeks later I'd worked out how to ride.

My point; any bump, illness etc can affect your balance.

I bumped my head and had severe concussion.... after nearly a month in ICU I came home and about a month later tried to ride. It was like 'Whhhhat the faaaark, where are my training wheels??' but a few weeks later I'd worked out how to ride.

My point; any bump, illness etc can affect your balance.

"Bumped my head" sounds like a little bit of an understatement! A month in ICU doesn't result from a "bumped" head. It results from a seriously bliksimed head. Great to hear that you are fine.

I hit the water ear first skiing yesterday and am leaking water through a totally blocked head. Did not even get on the bike today despite feeling 'ok'.

Ow!

I think you may need a power balance bracelet whistling.gif .

What a chirps!

More seriously, it's fascinating how the body works.

Edited by ' Dale

Wow This is wake up time for me. I fell off on Saturday after feeling Iike i had no co-ord on the bike. i think my sinuses are badly infected. This would make sense if the two were related, as I am incredibly frustrated with my lack of technical ability, all skills and co-ord seems to have deserted me.

Guest Omega Man

Yup. I get ear infections from years of surfing (ears are screwed) and it deffinately affects your balance.